Caterpillar Twenty Two

austin.l

New User
Hi everyone,

First off, I am new to Yesterday's Tractor. I am also new to the whole antique tractor hobby in general. Now that's out of the way, I wanted to ask for some of your help. I have recently acquired a Caterpillar Twenty Two crawler tractor. I have still yet to bring it home as the weather disintegrated this week. The lady I got it from said her husband used it until he passed about four years ago, the poor thing has been sitting off her driveway since. It is pretty complete and will make an nice restoration project, however it is missing some parts. Luckily it seems that most of those parts are easy to find, gauges, radiator cap, etc. The most major part that seems to be missing is the fuel pump. It seems to have been missing for a while as someone before me has tied the main fuel tank directly to the carb. It also had an electric start mod done to it as well as a hydraulic pump added for the blade. Everything seems that it is repairable, so I am very excited to get in it while school is out until fall. Information on these seems hard to come by, so any information or resources really helps. I will feel more comfortable posting pictures of it after it is moved to my place. I did forget to swipe a picture of the serial number tags while I was up there today, so unfortunately a date is not known at this point, I will have serial numbers soon.

Thanks! Please feen free to let me know about any information I may need through this restoration journey.

The Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club (ACMOC) is the place to get all the information you need.

if you would post the serial number I should be able to find out the year

This should help for parts-
http://www.acmoc.org/bb/forumdisplay.php?150-Sources

there was a place in Orchard Iowa, near Osage Iowa that sold older Cat parts. Might try "Google"

Those fuel pumps can be a problem to find or repair. I think it will work as is as long as you keep enough gas in the tank. ACMOC.org is your friend.

Thanks for the info. I know that it will work as it is, but for a nice and complete restoration having the fuel pump would be nice.

you will need the parts number---so get the serial number off the machine and go on ebay for a cat 22 parts book that covers your serial number

This book may help.
cvphoto671.jpg

cvphoto672.jpg

I had a chance to go up and get the serial number. Planning to move it in the next few days. It is the same on the engine and the back of the transmission.
Serial no.
2F7778

Thanks for your help!

Be advised that you can buy a nice running one for half of what you will have after you get yours working. You will get the enjoyment of doing it but no reward financially.

that would be a 1936 date of manufacturer---that's great that the serial #'s match--which means the engine has not been replaced

I do understand your point, however I picked this one up for almost nothing. I don't plan on selling it in the near future, I just wanted a fun project that I can learn something from.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back