Belarus 420A

jjjjchevy

New User
Just boughtt a 420A. Wanted to use PTO but can only get it to turn when driving. No manual for tractor. Does anyone know what levers engage to PTO at 540 when standing still?

If it is like my 405, the engagement lever for the PTO has a position for live PTO and one for ground speed drive and neutral. It is located on the right side of the platform by the throttle pedal. Depress the PTO clutch and move the lever to the rear for live PTO and forward for ground speed.

You can download manuals here:

no.. the PTO clutch pedal is to the left of the main clutch pedal, internally they are separate units mounted on the same flywheel and operate separately or together if your feet can cover both pedals :).
not being a smart axx, the main clutch stops the tractor from moving and the pto clutch stops only the PTO while the tractor keeps moving.
Your machine might also have a lever mounted on floor level near the PTO pedal? this is for a left side mounted flat pelt pully unit? mounted in behind the access step, or there is an blank cover in that area. Not all were fitted with the actual pully unit, but they came with the ability to do so, quite common to just remove this lever for more foot room, when the unit is not there or going to be mounted.
hope it helps

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that stuff. My other question is the lever to engage the PTO. Forward it engages the PTO when I'm moving. When I stop it stops. In the middle and backward position I get nothing from the PTO, no turning, no noise. Any idea's?

A short note...forward the PTO lever is engaged in whats known as "ground speed" PTO only turns a ratio compared to rear tire size on the machine, example 14.9 x 30 one complete of rear tire =17.? turns of the PTO shaft, i seem to recall.
pulling the lever back to center is neutral operation of the PTO, all the way back is the "live" position of the PTO/ varies with engine speed and gives the 540rpm at 1800 rpm ? engine speed, or slightly higher.
if nothing turns in live PTO you might be looking at failed PTO clutch...there is an access/viewing plate directly in front of the clutch pedals, look in there to check pedal operations first, or do this check?
with the live PTO engaged and engine NOT RUNNING ! the shaft should not turn as its coupled to the engine..if it turns you could have a PTO clutch problem, or a sheared PTO shaft itself[ the PTO bell housing is a simple removal to replace a shaft/bearing/seal etc.
If its sheared it can have enough friction contact at the break to turn when in ground speed, but the torque in live position is too great, and the break point just slips by.
hope it helps.

Wow, what a guy. So nice to find guys like you to help out with these old tractors. Can't wait to look at the PTO again

Wondering what you have found? and i should add that there is a splined coupling in the transmission, that in a worst case that the splines are partially or fully stripped, either on the female driving side or male driven side. Again this is part of the does it turn when the tractor is not running/in neutral, be sure to use something decent sized to try turning the shaft by hand. You could still have a clutch issue yet, but i have broken a PTO shaft before, so the quickest check. If you do get a used shaft from a salvage yard, be sure to do a dye penetrant test for cracks on the entire shaft, and rounding or slight twist of the spline edges.
hope it helps

Been raining here, tractor sets outside, haven't dug into it yet. I did buy another tractor for parts. That should help.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back