8N transmission help in the Southeast US

Tjoseph

New User
I just inherited my dad's 1950 Ford 8N and have started a full restoration - Engine seems to be good however I have a knock in the transmission in 2nd gear. I am looking for some mechanic or shop help to overhaul the transmission. I see some advertisements for help in the north and northeast US, however was hoping to find something closer to Western Tennessee area, or the south east US. Does anyone know of this type help in this area?

Welcome to the boards. Who is doing the restoration? You or a company? If you, then you can source trans parts on fleabay.
Not difficult to do and that clunk in second sounds like a broken gear tooth. Easy enough to do, the pita is removing the trans which is the hard part. After that it becomes a case of simply taking it apart and being your first rodeo, taking lots of pictures and laying the parts out in order.
Now if this was an automatic, I would suggest a shop. However, as i have done a few of those, they are not difficult either, just don't play with the valve body on an auto trans. The standard trans is just a bunch of clunky gears to assemble in the correct order. Not a problem with a camera.

Reactions: HFJ
Thanks, I am planning on doing the restoration ( with a lot of help and time ) just retired and looking for a longer term project. No automatic transmission, just the original 4 speed manual transmission for a 1950.

Good to hear, I might just do it - I see a few videos on how to remove the transmission that seem simple enough - any special tools required to replace the gears?

Good to hear, I might just do it - I see a few videos on how to remove the transmission that seem simple enough - any special tools required to replace the gears?
I repaired one of mine a number of years ago. Don't remember any special tools except maybe a 3 jawed puller. A camera is required to take lots of before photos, makes it a lot easier but good photos in the FO4 manual. Fun project.
001-3.JPG

Last edited:
I am preparing to take the gear shaft out of the transmission and have read and studied the IT shop manual closely. Not sure what the FO4 manual is and where to get one? I know the tractor needs breaking between the motor and transmission, however to get this main shaft out to change at least 2nd Gear, do you need to also break the transmission and rear end? IT manual is not real clear. I can't find any YouTube videos that highlight this type of work, lots on Sherman transmission work but not on the actual 4 speed for the 8N.

My I&T shop manual says FO-4 in the upper right corner. Yes the main shaft has to come out and the trans has to be split at both ends. paragraph 109 in my FO-4. Not a bad job, just take it easy and keep it safe.

Thanks guys, appreciate the notes, info and video - I am starting tomorrow.
best of luck, keep us posted :)

just to be safe, take some care about when it comes to the actual removal of the cover. i don't want to jinx anything, but i had just read a thread about rats coming out of toilets :eek:

you know about the ball that likes to go flying across the shop, right?

i always figured I & T was the brand name for the manual and FO(rd?)-4 was the 'model' number.

Well, I found the defect of my 2nd gear, see tooth chipped just about 60-70%, after getting the tractor opened up for viewing - see attached photo. I have the tractor ready to separate the transmission from the engine and rear end axle housing. I just need to get the shifter dismantled and the PTO disconnected and plan to break it apart today. So far so good...

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpeg
    IMG_1050.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 25
Well I got the main transmission shaft out and found the expected faulty 2nd gear, however also exposed the counter shaft below and found the 2nd gear counter gear in even worse shape, missing 4-5 teeth. So on to removing the counter shaft. I see on many websites that the 2nd gear and 2nd counter gear common and easy to find, unlike some of the other components, so perhaps this is a common type failure. All of the other gears look good and I plan to purchase the needed 2 gears as well as a transmission rebuilt kit while I am this far in to the transmission, it comes with new bearings, seals and gaskets.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Good for you Tjoseph. I've been fowling your thread since the beginning. In the future, when someone needs help with a transmission you will be a wealth of knowledge.

I finished the complete disassembly of the transmission now and have ordered both of the gears and transmission rebuild kit. See photos of the 2 shafts and damaged 2nd gears. For someone that has never worked on transmissions the disassembly was fairly easy following the I&T shop manual and the video that R Geiger sent in an earlier thread. With the tractor now in 3 pieces I plan to replace the clutch and the PTO output shaft bearings and seals. More later when the parts arrive and begin the reassembly. I see a YouTube video on how to reassemble a 8N transmission that I think will be helpful to keep me on the right track.

Attachments

• IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1066.jpeg
    IMG_1066.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 14

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back