7045 trans brake confusion

Got a 7045 recently and the trans brake and inching is getting confusing. It’s a 6 speed powershift with high low. It slowly moves forward with gear in low with power shift in neutral. When you start to move forward it lugs down a little before it starts to move like it’s in a bind. Seems to be ok once you’re off the clutch pedal, and the high low grinds so I guess the trans brake not working. There is one rod going down to a valve on side of transmission. There is a lever under the dash that the clutch pedal hits with an adjustment on it but doesn’t seem to be anything connected to the lever. Anybody know how this works that maybe can explain it. Thanks for any info

Not sure if this is to new for DrAllis, but I am
going to give this info based on other brands of Powershift transmission that I have at least had my hands inside of at one point. Generally a machine wanting to move in neutral is an indication that it has a clutch pack(s) with warped discs in it from slipping and getting hot. So it is continually dragging or partially engaging. I have no idea of the workings of the trans brake, but this could also be caused by the warped clutch pack. Generally pressure tests that are explained in a manual are associated with diagnosis of a PS transmission. I would recommend you go to the “Unofficial Allis forum” You will post under Farm Equipment just went there to get the link. Well it looks like YT puts the blockaroo on that. You will have to search it yourself if you want to get there. I just know it exists that is about it. Get a repair manual!

Winter is kind of a poor time to learn how to operate one of these power shifts due to the viscous drag of the very cold transmission oil. Your best results will be obtained by starting the tractor, setting the throttle at about 1400 rpm, leave in PARK and shift the transmission into 4th gear and give it 15 minutes of warm-up time. There will ALWAYS be some oil drag until the oil is at 140 degrees or more in temp, so just be aware of that. The transmission brake is in the lowest 2 inches or so of the inching pedal stroke. You can "feel" the brake zone because there is a spring resistance built into the pedal so you know where you are. The trans brake is made to stop tranny rotation so you can shift the range/park lever BUT with cold oil this can be a challenge. Sometimes you'll need to shift into reverse ( and release the pedal a little) to fully get the trans to release because of cold oil temps. If there is zero transmission brake with warm oil, you have an inching valve problem in the Power shift valve itself which must be corrected before anything works like it should. WARM THE OIL UP FIRST !! Get an owners manual which explains how to operate the tranny !!!!

Thanks for the help, I will get a manual coming. I read somewhere about a snap ring that breaks and has to be fixed to stop the grinding that may be one of the problems.

IF the snap ring is broken, simply compress the spool spring and collar and clamp with a needle nose vise grips. Take a welder and blob a spot of weld into the snap ring groove and grind weld to fit and you are permanently fixed. No parts to buy but maybe a couple of gaskets and a spool seal. There are improved updated parts that can be bought but this has worked great for me 35+ years without a single failure.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back