'50 8N crank seal replacement

boler76

how much of a problem is it to change both upper and lower rear crankshaft seal without removing crankshaft, manual says it can be done? thanks for your experience on this subject

I'v had my share of failed attempts with this style of rear seal. The engine is coming out the crank is coming out and the good part NO WARRANTY. Good luck.

The most common rear seal replacement available today is made of a hard synthetic material it would be impossible to install it in the upper position with the crank in. I believe the original seal was GraphTite a limp rope. I have order this type of seal from Fel-Pro I did not think it fit proper so used the Hard synthetic seal provided in the gasket set. The GraphTite seal you could get in with the crank installed you will not get the new synthetic rope installed in the upper position , its a job to get that one in proper with the crank out.

I have posted quite a bit of info on this the archives are down, you can learn a lot by searching, replace rear main oil seal in a ford fe engine. I am not a believer in soaking the seals in oil before instillation leave that up to the novice. As much as I dread the synthetic seal it does a great job when installed proper. When installed proper and it leaks it was not installed proper are the crank is worn out. You can not seal a worn crank it will eat you alive. That's why I like to remove the crank for inspection. I have went behind folks that could not get it sealed the crank was worn out. I have replaced rear seals that leaked everything looked perfect I never seen what the issue was with the original instillation. That's why I will not warranty a rear seal replacement unless I inspect every part and you can not do that with the crank installed in the engine it has to come out and brought back to spec.

Another thing if the engine is worn and has excessive blow by crankcase pressure you will never seal it, its cooked, done, a new seal will not hold up.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back