4010 John Deere PTO seal change

philaura

New User
Hello. I am new to the site I just purchased a John Deere 4010. Needs to replace PTO seal . Saw some videos on changing a John Deere 4020 seal. But they say it is different on a 4010. Does anyone know if you still have to take the complete plating off of the rear to change it like the 4020. Any information would be helpful I do not have a diagram. But I did purchase the PTO seal already

It appears from viewing 4010 parts catalog that one needs to remove rear housing that contains seal part # AR26706 then R&R seal then replace. I recommend placing front wheels in a ditch or aimed over a berm OR drain hyd oil. If you elect to drain oil this would be a good time to check/clean hyd oil suction screen. Screen is located behind hyd filter & in front of rear axle housing. There's also an o-ring part # R26287 that seal oil on pto speed shift rod that could be leaking hyd oil.

Hello. I am new to the site I just purchased a John Deere 4010. Needs to replace PTO seal . Saw some videos on changing a John Deere 4020 seal. But they say it is different on a 4010. Does anyone know if you still have to take the complete plating off of the rear to change it like the 4020. Any information would be helpful I do not have a diagram. But I did purchase the PTO seal already
I will second the Deere service manual. Also check the shaft where the seal rides. Often they will have a groove wore in them. If so a new seal will not fix your problem. In the past we have ordered a Spedi-sleeve which is a thin metal sleeve that goes over the shaft giving the seal a new surface to seal against. Been 25 years since I did a 10 series but we did a few of them. Can't remember if it takes a different seal when using the sleeve. Tom

I will second the Deere service manual. Also check the shaft where the seal rides. Often they will have a groove wore in them. If so a new seal will not fix your problem. In the past we have ordered a Spedi-sleeve which is a thin metal sleeve that goes over the shaft giving the seal a new surface to seal against. Been 25 years since I did a 10 series but we did a few of them. Can't remember if it takes a different seal when using the sleeve. Tom
Thank you. In case there is a warning groove where would one pick up a spedi-sleeve? I have just recently purchased this tractor. Ordered the manual. Was going to attempt to change it before the manual arrived. Watched some videos on YouTube. They only show 4020s. Thank you for your information!

It appears from viewing 4010 parts catalog that one needs to remove rear housing that contains seal part # AR26706 then R&R seal then replace. I recommend placing front wheels in a ditch or aimed over a berm OR drain hyd oil. If you elect to drain oil this would be a good time to check/clean hyd oil suction screen. Screen is located behind hyd filter & in front of rear axle housing. There's also an o-ring part # R26287 that seal oil on pto speed shift rod that could be leaking hyd oil.
Thank you. Was wondering if there was an O-ring along with the seal has I've seen some mentioned on YouTube in the 4020 series. All information is welcome.

Thank you. In case there is a warning groove where would one pick up a spedi-sleeve? I have just recently purchased this tractor. Ordered the manual. Was going to attempt to change it before the manual arrived. Watched some videos on YouTube. They only show 4020s. Thank you for your information!
I found where i can order one from.

Thank you. Was wondering if there was an O-ring along with the seal has I've seen some mentioned on YouTube in the 4020 series. All information is welcome.
Hello the O-ring part number that you gave me o-ring part # R26287 I received and only is the size of a dime, could you please check the part number to make sure this is the right part. I can't believe this will do anything for the PTO shaft. Thank you kindly Phil

R26287 is item 58 in photo which could possibly be contributing to leak or may be fine.
Screenshot 2024-01-18 061932.png

Hello the O-ring part number that you gave me o-ring part # R26287 I received and only is the size of a dime, could you please check the part number to make sure this is the right part. I can't believe this will do anything for the PTO shaft. Thank you kindly Phil
www.jdparts.com for a free online parts book.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back