2606 carb doesn't fit right

The distributor body will rotate all around but the rotor stays in place.

I rechecked everything and found 1 rookie mistake. The 6 and 2 wires were switched. Somebody must have broke into the barn last night and switched them.

It's Alive!! It will run for 5 or 10 seconds and quit. Must be a fuel issue. Get full flow out of needle valve. Have it out about 5 turns but have tried more and less. When I opened it the other day the float hung down about 1 and a 1/16 inch. May have to pull it apart and blow it out while I'm waiting on the governor spring and choke cable bracket. The needle valve at the throat is out 1.5 turns. Waiting on a battery recharge now.
I don’t believe you fully understand the process of setting a carb float. You give a dimension of 1 1/16” “hung down.” Also the same description is given in reply 24. While the drop limit of of the float is set that is not the most important setting. The easiest way to set it is to have the carb top off and invert it (top down” This has the weight of the float holding the float needle closed. Basically the top of the float which is now on the bottom) should be adjusted so it is parallel with the gasket surface of the carb top. There is probably a measurement spec to the seam of the brass float if that is what you have. Generally setting them level or parallel is close enough on those IH carbs. When inverted the weight of the float is equivalent to the gas level raising up in the carb bowl and the float “floating” on it to shut the flow off coming in. Setting the level the float keeps the fuel at in the bowl is the most important.

I'm thinking the distributor should be able to turn 360 degrees without removing it from the engine. You have to disconnect the power wire obviously but just loosen the hold down clamp and turn it wherever you want. The #1 post pointing toward #1 cylinder works, unless I'm mixing up my small block Chevy.
Yeah you could turn it 360 but the rub is the tach cable connection, when you get the body so the tach cable can connect you only have have two choices for the rotor because of the slot. Only thing it affects is the rotor may not be pointing to the right number on the cap, wire accordingly

I don’t believe you fully understand the process of setting a carb float. You give a dimension of 1 1/16” “hung down.” Also the same description is given in reply 24. While the drop limit of of the float is set that is not the most important setting. The easiest way to set it is to have the carb top off and invert it (top down” This has the weight of the float holding the float needle closed. Basically the top of the float which is now on the bottom) should be adjusted so it is parallel with the gasket surface of the carb top. There is probably a measurement spec to the seam of the brass float if that is what you have. Generally setting them level or parallel is close enough on those IH carbs. When inverted the weight of the float is equivalent to the gas level raising up in the carb bowl and the float “floating” on it to shut the flow off coming in. Setting the level the float keeps the fuel at in the bowl is the most important.
Got it. I didn't understand. Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back