1953 Ford NAA Jubileee erratic idle, carburetor trouble?

I’m hoping It’s something simple I just haven’t realized. I don’t think It’s the throttle plate because I didn’t take it out. The new one was a complete unit and I put it on and that’s when the issue started. Then I put the old one back on and it still does the same thing. I have swapped them out several times, swapped the tops and bottoms and still same problem.
Take the carb off it has on it right now and wire the throttle plate closed install it and start the engine. It should run at an idle only and the RPM should stay low. If it doesn't you have a vacuum leak some place

Yes! I just realized I am an idiot and swapped the two! Good grief I feel stupid, first time working on this thing so I know there’s a learning curve. Thanks for the input everyone I am gonna swap it after work today and see if it runs better with the new carb. UGH!

Don;t beat yourself up. If you were knowledgeable on old style engines you wouldn't have come here for help. But if you get the carburetor problem straightened out, don't forget the original problem you had.

Don;t beat yourself up. If you were knowledgeable on old style engines you wouldn't have come here for help. But if you get the carburetor problem straightened out, don't forget the original problem you had.
I’m hoping the new one takes care of it, I will know for sure after work this evening.

My was doing about the same thing and it was the condenser that was the culprit. The copper strip in the distributor was cracked and when I fixed that it still acted like it was flooding and would not run above idle at all. I swapped the condenser with an old one I had and that fixed it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back