146 Farm Loader control valve replacement

Dave Disney

New User
I have a Cessna 2-spool control valve
on my 146 farm loader (SN: E0146006444) that I need a
replacement for. It is mounted on my 1966 2020HU
Rowcrop (SN:NT5H1C023273T) tractor.
The loader drops down slowly, when it should be holding firm in a raised position. The bucket also tips downward, when it should be firm. Im looking for
suggestions on what to use as a replacement for the old
Cessna valve.
This has been a great tractor. But the slow drop need to
be repaired.
Thanks in advance, Dave

Have you ruled out failing cylinder piston seals as the cause of the slow drop?

Have you checked or replaced the ''load checks'' in the valve (called ''plunger'' in the parts diagram)?

If hyd diagnostics prove you need a new spool valve I suggest to check with Surplus Center or Bailey hyd's for new control valve. Be sure to get/install closed-center conversion plug.

Mine was doing the same and I disassembled my valve and found a retainer was out of place and allowed the packing to move too much. I snugged up everything and that was 12 years ago. It has worked since then.

You need to be sure you get a valve for, or convertible to, closed center. Also I expect your valve has a detented float position, so read the descriptions of the valves you look at. Many valves advertised as loader valves are only directional valves and do not have the float position.

Thanks for all your replies.
The local JD dealer fixed one of the bucket rams that was dripping. The others haven't dripped at all.
They told me it they thought it was the loader control valve.
Thats what I was going with.
Now I can see some additional things Im going to need to check out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back