YM 1500 Battery good, won't start

TerriZP-HT

New User
I tried to start my YM 1500, got one spark then nothing. Put it on the charger and got it full which only took half hour. Turn the key and nothing, so I'm assuming it may be the starter. Looking at Hoye, I don't see an ignition switch so looking for help.

You need to do check and clean all your main cable connections. Especially the ground where it connects to the frame. Then you need to check voltage at starter, both input and connection coming from ignition. That should be showing 12+v when key is turned to start position.

Upvote 0
You need to do check and clean all your main cable connections. Especially the ground where it connects to the frame. Then you need to check voltage at starter, both input and connection coming from ignition. That should be showing 12+v when key is turned to start position.
I will try that, thanks!

Upvote 1
I tried to start my YM 1500, got one spark then nothing. Put it on the charger and got it full which only took half hour. Turn the key and nothing, so I'm assuming it may be the starter. Looking at Hoye, I don't see an ignition switch so looking for help.
It could be 1 or 2 items.
- starter, either the brush plate or the solenoid
- The voltage Regulator VR-660

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with my 1500 D I checked all my connections are tight I have 12 V from battery to starter to solenoid and still get nothing thinking voltage regulator. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with my 1500 D I checked all my connections are tight I have 12 V from battery to starter to solenoid and still get nothing thinking voltage regulator. Any thoughts are appreciated.
First have your starter tested at an autoparts store. This is done for free.
For Yanmar's a typical Datsun (Nissan) vehicle from about 1972 thru 1978 general fits. And the modern replacements are OSGR types to work even better on our machines. These do not bog down, instead they really spin up the engine nicely.

Here are the modern type of starters these days, don't ever go backwards to the stupid solenoid type again.
Reduction_Starter_Motor_Diagram.jpg

And even these are sold by Parts ASAP too.

Just check your Yanmar part number to this one . . .
ASAP-DENSO-STARTER-OSGR_2022_2_20_9_3_9jpg_Page1.jpg

If the starter passes, then look at the VR. The newer VR's are solid state, potted, last much longer and are half the price. If you pay more than $20 for a solidstate VR, you paid way too much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First have your starter tested at an autoparts store. This is done for free.
For Yanmar's a typical Datsun (Nissan) vehicle from about 1972 thru 1978 general fits. And the modern replacements are OSGR types to work even better on our machines. These do not bog down, instead they really spin up the engine nicely.

Here are the modern type of starters these days, don't ever go backwards to the stupid solenoid type again.
View attachment 5659

And even these are sold by Parts ASAP too.

Just check your Yanmar part number to this one . . .
View attachment 5660

If the starter passes, then look at the VR. The newer VR's are solid state, potted, last much longer and are half the price. If you pay more than $20 for a solidstate VR, you paid way too much.
All great info! Thanks very much.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back