Trying to figure out which diesel engine I have in Ford 445 tractor, 175, 183, or...?

gnc23

New User
I'm working on a 1980 Ford Industrial 445 tractor, diesel engine. Trying to figure out which diesel engine size I have. Been doing a lot of research on web on decoding model, engine, and date codes but need some help. I want to either get a new/reman cylinder head or take it to machine shop for rebuild, or do what i can myself with new valve train kit in my home shop. Problem I have is trying to decipher which engine size I have to get the right parts. Its a 3 cylinder diesel but Ford made several. I think I have a 175 or 183 but not sure. The head bolts are 1/2", round intake ports with rectangular exhaust ports. I will post all the codes I found on the tractor. There was no ID tag anywhere and the following numbers are all stamped in the castings.
Engine Casting Stamps: T6 D5NN6015F *K456776* also above engine stamp was a tag with 9G23 I think. Its very hard to read.
Tractor Codes behind starter: kd314k 0a24b *c637249*
I will post pics. So, I want to know what size engine I have so i can either buy correct cylinder head or buy a valve train kit. Or, Is there even a difference in the valve train kit between the different size 3 cylinder engines? I wouldn't think so, but I want to be sure. I know there is a difference between cylinder heads, some have 9/16 bolts and some have 1/2 bolts. According to Reliance Power Parts, there was a 175cid and a 183 cid made in 1980. Tractordata.com says the 445 came with the 183 cid. Just want to buy the right cylinder head or valve train kit for this engine. Any help or input would be appreciated.
ford445sideview.jpegford445engineSN.jpg

kd314k is the model number for a 445 with a diesel engine, independent 540 rpm PTO and a 6x4 manual reversing transmission.

0a24b and *c637249* are the unit number and serial number for a tractor that left the assembly line on January 24, 1980 during the day shift.

*K456776* is the engine serial number., The K at the beginning says that was made for a tractor whose model designator started with K. The 445 had a 175 ci engine if it was a gasser, and a 183 ci if it was a diesel. Since yours is a diesel, it should have a 183. Since both have a 4.2" stroke, it shouldn't matter if you are just going to do valve and head work, as those parts should be the same. If you take it to a machine shop for more extensive work, they will measure everything before ordering parts anyway, so it really shouldn't matter whether you know what it is before you take it to them.

Thank u so much for all the information. You're a lifesaver. After I posted yesterday I continued cleaning the tractor and found a tag on the front of cylinder head D5NN6090K buried under grease. I found a reman head online for $920 with that number. I was getting confused because some sites would say the heads were compatible w/ 175, 192, 201, but Not 183. Other sites would say it's compatible with all of them. So, I greatly appreciate your knowledge and expertise. One more question, just to clarify, the new number I found on front of head D5NN6090K, that is the casting number I should use to buy the correct reman head? Are there any other numbers on the head or engine to verify? I can't thank u enough for You're help.

Yes, any head with that casting number should work. That block casting number, D5NN6015F, was used on a number of different displacement engines. The different displacements were cast and then bored, so that block could have originally been bored to 2.2" or 2.4", and then the different strokes, 2.2" or 2.4" were achieved by using different crankshafts with differing strokes. The unique parts for each displacement were the connecting rods and pistons, as the different displacements need different pin positions in the pistons and different length rods to achieve the same optimal compression ratio.

kd314k is the model number for a 445 with a diesel engine, independent 540 rpm PTO and a 6x4 manual reversing transmission.

0a24b and *c637249* are the unit number and serial number for a tractor that left the assembly line on January 24, 1980 during the day shift.

*K456776* is the engine serial number., The K at the beginning says that was made for a tractor whose model designator started with K. The 445 had a 175 ci engine if it was a gasser, and a 183 ci if it was a diesel. Since yours is a diesel, it should have a 183. Since both have a 4.2" stroke, it shouldn't matter if you are just going to do valve and head work, as those parts should be the same. If you take it to a machine shop for more extensive work, they will measure everything before ordering parts anyway, so it really shouldn't matter whether you know what it is before you take it to them.

183 is an odd ball engine that was only used in a few models
175 has 4.2 bore x 4.2 stroke
183 has 4.2 bore x 4.4 stroke
192 has 4.4 bore x 4.2 stroke
201 has 4.4 bore x 4.4 stroke

175 has same b x s as 233 4 cylinder
192 has same b x s as 256 4 cylinder
201 has same b x s as 268 4 cylinder and 401 6 cylinder

Yes, any head with that casting number should work. That block casting number, D5NN6015F, was used on a number of different displacement engines. The different displacements were cast and then bored, so that block could have originally been bored to 2.2" or 2.4", and then the different strokes, 2.2" or 2.4" were achieved by using different crankshafts with differing strokes. The unique parts for each displacement were the connecting rods and pistons, as the different displacements need different pin positions in the pistons and different length rods to achieve the same optimal compression ratio.

I think your bore and stroke dimensions are off by a couple of inches, you may have posted before finishing that first cup
Sometimes it takes me two cups

Thank u so much for all the information. You're a lifesaver. After I posted yesterday I continued cleaning the tractor and found a tag on the front of cylinder head D5NN6090K buried under grease. I found a reman head online for $920 with that number. I was getting confused because some sites would say the heads were compatible w/ 175, 192, 201, but Not 183. Other sites would say it's compatible with all of them. So, I greatly appreciate your knowledge and expertise. One more question, just to clarify, the new number I found on front of head D5NN6090K, that is the casting number I should use to buy the correct reman head? Are there any other numbers on the head or engine to verify? I can't thank u enough for You're help.

Sean is correct in saying to take the head to a machine shop before ordering parts
If it needs major work order a head, but it may only need a simple valve job and light milling

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back