Temp differential between top and bottom rad hoses on YM1600?

Hi folks

I was just wondering, what sort of temp differential is normal between top and bottom rad hoses? I ask as I had a bit of a blocked radiator with a leak, so flushed it all out and used a leak sealer in it. It runs fine, or seems to, but the bottom rad hose never gets very hot, lukewarm maybe, while the top rad hose is really hot to touch. I don't know if this is normal, and I didn't check the rad hose temperatures while it was running normally! I know this tractor is thermosyphon only, so presumably the bottom hose never gets too hot, but...?

On an unrelated note, am I right to assume that changing the fan belt means removing the rad hoses again, and the radiator shroud or the fan itself - there's no shortcut?

Thank you.

Sounds like it’s perfect no water pump or thermostat to worry about. Didn’t know they made stuff later that way. If you lost a water pump a good way to tell is that bottom hose will be cold and the top will be hot. The bottom should be warm enough anywhere from lukewarm like you say to about where you want to pull your hand away. Short answer is if there’s a temp gauge make sure it stays below that and don’t worry about it too much.

Thanks. I don't have a temp gauge! Think my tractor was made in about 1980.

If I hadn't used radweld type stuff on the radiator I wouldn't have thought to check!

Thanks. I don't have a temp gauge! Think my tractor was made in about 1980.

If I hadn't used radweld type stuff on the radiator I wouldn't have thought to check!
YM1600 with the 2TR16 engine was in production from 1975-1979.

This is extracted from the Yanmar Japan website back in 2016.

1705361672391.png

The engine cc of 1021 is the same as the YM1700 2TR17. The two engine share many common parts together.

Just bumping this to see if anyone knows of a shortcut to changing the fan belt...?

I assume that changing the fan belt means removing the rad hoses again, and the radiator shroud or the fan itself?

Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back