Super C Bull Pinion Gear Retaining Washer & Bolts

RTNystrom

New User
image.jpg
Ok, I feel like I’m going crazy. Restoring a Super C. Just got the rear axles installed and I go to put the bull pinion gear retaining washers & 2 bolts in. However, 1 hole on each axle seems too small for the bolt to go into. I can thread 1 bolt into the end of each axle, but I can’t get the other bolts even started. I’ve cleaned the threads on each bolt and tried to run a tap through the holes on the end of the axles but again, 1 hole on each axle seems too small and the tap won’t go. I’m using the same bolts that came out of the axles. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this or if I’m just crazy? Obviously if the bolts came out of the axles they should go back in… thank you.

View attachment 1669Ok, I feel like I’m going crazy. Restoring a Super C. Just got the rear axles installed and I go to put the bull pinion gear retaining washers & 2 bolts in. However, 1 hole on each axle seems too small for the bolt to go into. I can thread 1 bolt into the end of each axle, but I can’t get the other bolts even started. I’ve cleaned the threads on each bolt and tried to run a tap through the holes on the end of the axles but again, 1 hole on each axle seems too small and the tap won’t go. I’m using the same bolts that came out of the axles. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this or if I’m just crazy? Obviously if the bolts came out of the axles they should go back in… thank you.
Just a thought and I will start by saying I don't know about those exact capscrews or holes. It appears the parts book shows 3/8-24 X 7/8" self locking hex head capscrews. There is such a thing as interference fit threads. The taps are smaller for holes and the dies were slightly large for external threads. Could these holes be tapped with for interference fit, used to prevent the capscrews from backing out? Sometime removal compromises the interference fit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back