Steiger history--

big tee

There is a Facebook site call Barn Steigers and I got this info off of it.
cvphoto122462.jpg

cvphoto122463.jpg

Mr. Steiger himself
cvphoto122464.jpg

cvphoto122465.jpg

what 108 should look like
cvphoto122467.jpg

Ours-ser.#108--the 8th 2200 out of the barn

Was not the one with the gal setting on it there the Barney models before your 2200? I thought I read where the barney models were the ones built in the barn on the dairy farm then the next ones were built in another place. All around 15-200 HP then. More HP came a bit later if I remember right from what I read.

Not sure-The guy that runs the site called ours a barn Steiger--I will do some checking..

Somewhere I have some 3 ring binders that say Stieger and Cummins from when my mom worked in marketing and yes they were ugly green!

I got to meet Doug Steiger when he was part of HydraMac and he sure was an interesting fellow.

It impresses me that today they build the tractors and the wheel loaders on the same assembly line at Fargo. I would think that would be a logistics nightmare but they get it done.

Became a Steiger dealer in 1979. I was fortunate to meet the Steiger Brothers and also Les Melroe (Melroe Bobcats). Great people to work with. Made several trips to Fargo and unfortunately some were in the winter.

Didn't Steiger build the big articulating tractors for IH in the 1970s and early 1980s? Like the 4366, 4568, 4768? They had an IH diesel engine and a truck transmission - I don't know the front and rear drive axles.

Front & rear drive axles were 2wd tractor rearends assembled at FARMALL and shipped to Stiger. MOVING them from the assembly area down to shipping at FARMALL every day was one of my jobs from November 1979 to April 1980. Stiger made sure all the upper management at IH knew they really appreciated the people at FARMALL keeping them running.

Sure did have a IH DT 466. It needed at least two hundred more cubic inches to match the size of the tractor. Like one of our customers said, might as well use the 1066 if you don't turn the fuel up on that 466. Then you got melt down. The whole power train was not well matched to the overall expectations of that tractor.

Then they offered the big dog V8.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back