Sloppy Wobbly Hydraulic valve control handles FIXED!

The control handles on my 50+ year ole Wagner Loader were so worn out they were wobbling all over the place.
Been like that since buying the tractor a few years ago.
Always said, one of these days!

Well that's all behind me now.

Here's what I did..
Removed the handles and mounting plate.
Fabricated a new horizontal pin that the handles ride on. Just a hair under 3/8 diameter in my case.
Drilled and installed new bronze bushings in the handle holes.
Bronze bushing are available at your local hardware. Common sizes are available.
Created a couple of small flat stock plates to join bottom of handles to valves. (2 small plates with 2 holes drilled in each plate) new tiny bolts with lock nuts.

Cleaned it up / painted it and threw it back together.
Just like new now. No play in either direction, no slop, no more wobbly handles.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Hello
I bought a 1950 8N with a Wagner loader. It has very loose valve handles like you describe. It sounds like you did a good job fixing them. I stumbled on your thread today but it has no pictures that I can see. Would you mind sending them to me as I want to do the same to my valve. I would appreciate it a bunch.
thanks

Hello
I bought a 1950 8N with a Wagner loader. It has very loose valve handles like you describe. It sounds like you did a good job fixing them. I stumbled on your thread today but it has no pictures that I can see. Would you mind sending them to me as I want to do the same to my valve. I would appreciate it a bunch.
thanks
You might want to try sending a message directly to PatsTractor. The post you are responding to is over 5 years old, and Pat hasn't been on this site since late December of '21. To start a conversation, hover over his "P" (his avatar) and push "Start Conversation". It's kind of an encrypted private email, and I think he'll actually get an email message if he's still around. steve

Hello
thanks
If you don't get a reply from Patstractor, he described what he did.

Make a new horizontal pin that the levers pivot on (his was just under 3/8" diameter). Drill the holes in the levers oversize and install bronze bushings with an ID to fit the shaft. It is best to get the bushings first, so you drill the levers to fit the bushing OD. I am thinking he made the small plates to take the place of the "C" shaped links some of the valves used to connect the levers to the valve spools. Fit the new bolts to the holes in the spools and levers to get the size holes to drill in the plates. The distance from hole to hole in the plates will be the same as the distance between the legs of the "C" link. If the levers are heavily worn where the "C" link goes in them, you could bush those as well, if you can find bushings.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back