Seeking Advice: House Painter Question

adamjones

New User
Hey everyone,

I'm currently exploring the idea of becoming a house painter and I'd love to hear from those already in the field. What led you to choose this profession, and what do you enjoy most about it?

Are there any specific skills or qualifications I should focus on acquiring?

I'm particularly interested in learning about the day-to-day responsibilities and challenges you face in your work.

if you could go back and do anything differently in your career as a house painter, what would it be?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated as I consider this career path.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently exploring the idea of becoming a house painter and I'd love to hear from those already in the field. What led you to choose this profession, and what do you enjoy most about it?

I'm particularly interested in learning about the day-to-day responsibilities and challenges you face in your work.

if you could go back and do anything differently in your career as a house painter, what would it be?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated with this company Master Groups as I consider this career path.
Thanks in advance for any help

Hey everyone,

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated as I consider this career path.
Hopefully you have joined some professional painter forums and asked these questions on those forums as well.

One of the first steps would be to get a job with an outfit doing the type of painting you are interested and do some hands-on learning (apprentice) of what is involved every day. A couple years of working at it every day will answer a lot of your questions and allow you to find out if it is a career for you, before you invest in tooling, gear, insurance etc. you will need to start a business with.

My Father was a house painter his entire career. Forty some years. His work sometimes had him painting forty to a hundred feet off the ground so you should not be afraid of heights. Painting, paper-hanging, varnishing boats, doors, etc. He could color match and mix paint sheen to match anything. Our area has a lot of historic vintage homes which the owners like to keep as original as possible . Glazing windows was also a big part of his work. So was drywall finishing. A guy who can do all of the above will as busy as he wishes. The painting trade is not as physically difficult as landscaping, construction and my father is still fairly mobile up to his nineties.

Hey everyone,

Years ago a bud I ran with was a painter every time I asked him how much was that job his price always ended with 90. $490.00. 590, 690 and so on. If I ever went that rout all my estimates would end in a 90 : ).

One summer I had a second job painting barns, also a cement stave silo. The guy that got the jobs sold oil to farmers, also paint.

Hey everyone,

I had a contracting business as a sideline to my regular maintenance supervisor job for a number of years. There is a big difference in residential commercial and industrial painting. in residential painting, The big money is in the old wooden houses Such as I live in. about 75% of the work is power washing., caulking, and covering the things that you do not want paint on.
Start up equipment cost is relatively low, but contractor insurance and Worker’s Comp runs into money. I eventually gave it up due to labor cost, and liabilities.
I suggest you start small and carefully select your employees.

I knew some guys, now retired, that made a fair living at it but those days in Indiana are long gone. Mostly now it is Mexicans (don't mean this to be a racist remark and get kicked off here) doing it. They work hard and work cheap and it would really be hard to complete with them.

Hey everyone,

If spray (is great when conditions are correct) use good equipment specialized airless works well. Clean it !!!!!
If brush trim last when possible
Use Purdy brushes and clean them with prejudice
Use analysis of existing paint to assess lead/flaking/ pealing/ bubbles/ type to assure compatibility/rotten decayed structure
Lead abatement is the law!!!
Preparation is key to successful jobs and professionalism
Word of mouth advertisement comes from excellence
Protect adjacent foliage/buildings/vehicles/sidewalks
clean up the jobsite like you do the brushes.
Use ladders and ladder accessories to be safe and prevent building damage
Move ladders do not assume you can fly (you cannot)
assume it will take 1/3 longer
Don't take jobs till you are certain the one you are on can be finished to start the next on time
If you hire someone teach them what you expect from them.
Good Luck and may the customers be satisfied. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back