RTU oil flowing out of magneto.

Has anyone ever seen oil coming out of these
IMG_3284.jpeg
holes in Magneto? On a early RTU

They look like they are supposed to be there, but it doesn’t make since because of the oil that is pumped up to the mag drive?

Just checked few of mi . No holes. Oil comes up to impulse coupler cavity. Someone hast tried to lube externally.

IT Runs great, just after a while oil starts coming out of it. Thanks for all the info might have to bug you again. Ive done a lot of tractors but this is my first R . Didn't understand why they would have holes where the oil is supposed to come to.

IT Runs great, just after a while oil starts coming out of it. Thanks for all the info might have to bug you again. Ive done a lot of tractors but this is my first R . Didn't understand why they would have holes where the oil is supposed to come to.
"after a while oil starts coming out of it"

You need to figure out "why", failed seal or blocked oil drain back passage in the drive, perhaps?

If you plug the holes without correcting the problem you will eventually have a mag full of oil, I would suspect.

Ill check out the passage ways, none of the manuals I have show the passages for the oil flow, I get about 25-30 lbs on the gauge.

You need to figure out "why", failed seal or blocked oil drain back passage in the drive, perhaps?

If you plug the holes without correcting the problem you will eventually have a mag full of oil, I would suspect.
Ill check out the passage ways, none of the manuals I have show the passages for the oil flow, I get about 25-30 lbs on the gauge.

Oil comes through pipe from front block to top of mag drive. Same on all Jet Stars. as well. Should be flow but not much pressure. Mag's or dist. will leak if gasket not good. Oil just dribbles on top of drive and goes down to mag shaft bushings. Any RE or EE motor should only have 25 psi cold. Would have to be totally rebuilt to achieve more. Is adjustable so go 30 cold 25 warm is high. Check filter in crankcase breather.

Oil comes through pipe from front block to top of mag drive. Same on all Jet Stars. as well. Should be flow but not much pressure. Mag's or dist. will leak if gasket not good. Oil just dribbles on top of drive and goes down to mag shaft bushings. Any RE or EE motor should only have 25 psi cold. Would have to be totally rebuilt to achieve more. Is adjustable so go 30 cold 25 warm is high. Check filter in crankcase breather.
Thanks for the info, I’ll check it out. There is a hole that it looks like it drains back down to the crankcase have you ever seen that plugged? I was thinking about pouring some kerosene down through it.

These guys will correct me if I am wrong, but I am thinking an RE engine is like a 206 in that the oil to the magneto bearing-the bearing below the magneto drive flange that is on the oil pump shaft- is supposed to come from the front cylinder block through a copper tube. The tube comes out of a port about an inch above where the cylinder block mounts to the crankcase and goes into the block to feed the oil pump shaft through an elbow on the front of the block. I was also thinking that there was supposed to be a drain back slot below/beside the bearing so that extra oil could go back into the crankcase. You might not be able to see the slot past a magneto flange, but I am thinking you can see it if the oil pump shaft has a distribuitor coupling on it.

If your oil supply line is different, let us know. Pictures would be helpful.

Another thing: oil coming from that port in the front cylinder block has already been blead off somewhat to oil the rockers. There shouldn't be much oil left and little to no pressure on it.

These guys will correct me if I am wrong, but I am thinking an RE engine is like a 206 in that the oil to the magneto bearing-the bearing below the magneto drive flange that is on the oil pump shaft- is supposed to come from the front cylinder block through a copper tube. The tube comes out of a port about an inch above where the cylinder block mounts to the crankcase and goes into the block to feed the oil pump shaft through an elbow on the front of the block. I was also thinking that there was supposed to be a drain back slot below/beside the bearing so that extra oil could go back into the crankcase. You might not be able to see the slot past a magneto flange, but I am thinking you can see it if the oil pump shaft has a distribuitor coupling on it.

If your oil supply line is different, let us know. Pictures would be helpful.

Another thing: oil coming from that port in the front cylinder block has already been blead off somewhat to oil the rockers. There shouldn't be much oil left and little to no pressure on it.
Thanks, these are the photos and I see nothing wrong with the passages, I can see all the way down in the crankcase, still not sure what the holes are for?
IMG_3306.jpeg
IMG_3305.jpeg
IMG_3307.jpeg
IMG_3309.jpeg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back