Questions about a White 2-50 loader tractor

TLfreedom

New User
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US.

Newbie here, so hopefully I am putting this in the right forum. Probably get a lot of 'should I buy this tractor' questions, but here goes.

I am going to look at a White 2-50 this weekend with a 120 loader and about 4450 hours. It comes with material bucket, bale spear, manure forks, 3 pt hitch blade and 6 foot snow blower with hydraulic shoot controls. Guy is asking $9000 Canadian. Rubber looks good and overall condition looks excellent with no rust - will find out more Saturday.

My real question is whether this tractor will be too light as a loader tractor. What research I have been able to conduct suggest this is a pretty tough reliable tractor.

Will it be able to regularly handle 1000 lb round bales?

It will be used for general loader work, cleaning up manure piles, moving gravel and material, running a bush hog, post hole auger, clearing snow, cutting hay, baling (small squares), and moving roughly 100 large rounds a year. We do about 25-30 acres of hay.

Will the hydraulics stand up to this work? is a 4100 lb tractor to light for this work?

Any input here would be much appreciated.

Recently just discovered this sight!

They were a good little tractor. The same as an Oliver 1265. I've got its big brother, an Oliver
1365, same as a White 2-60. I think it'll do what you want. The only thing I'm a little leary of is
the price they're asking. That thing would have to be super low hour and in like new shape for that
price. My 1365 is front wheel assist with a loader and I only gave $5800 US for it.

Here's a link to Import Tractor Buyers Guide.
Link

I would say ok. If it was 4x4. My son bought a 6610 Ford think is 75 hp. 4x4 16 speed trans Cab heat and air plus a loader and new tires. For that. US. But it's just average condition, and needed a new clutch. Which A grandson and I did. I would never buy a 2 wheel drive to push snow.

We also have a 50 hp JD compact 4320. It has cab.and front wheel drive. It is our go to rig to move 1000 lb. Bales. Has 400 lb of wheel weights but really does better with another bale on the back. It will lift 2200 lb. But wouldn't want to drive very far or fast.

Actually, the price is reasonable considering the attachments included and
the described condition. I don't have a lot of knowledge on those tractors,
but there are lots of them around providing good service. Keep some weight
on the back and add a set of chains to the rear tires and you will be good
for most Canadian winters! Whereabouts are you?

Ben

For me the 3 cylinder Fiats would be a little light for what you want to do,I'd be looking for a 4 cylinder and the price is way above what I'd pay for one.Saw a 995 David Brown/Case with loader sell for about $5000 a couple weeks ago they are about the same size as the 4 cylinder Fiats

If it is any thing like the 2-70 I would run not walk. Just to many things I didn't like about it. Was long geared small foot space and I don't have canoes for feet. Seemed clumsy in some ways. Just seemed like an unhandy tractor to me. I did like the MFWD on it though for loader work what little I did with it. Maybe just me too.

(quoted from post at 00:06:48 11/24/23) Actually, the price is reasonable considering the attachments included and
the described condition. I don't have a lot of knowledge on those tractors,
but there are lots of them around providing good service. Keep some weight
on the back and add a set of chains to the rear tires and you will be good
for most Canadian winters! Whereabouts are you?

Ben

Hey Ben,

We are in south central Ontario between Oshawa and Peterborough - Ganaraska forest area.

I forgot to mention that with the attachments it does come with chains as well. I think for the price it seems to depend on where you are - for Southern Ontario it seemed to be pretty fair to me, based on searching the last couple of months. I have had some other potential tractors, but distance is a problem - driving 3 plus hours to look at a tractor...then floating. I guess I need patience.

I may have time to look at it this weekend.

I guess price depends on the area. For comparison, I was going to look at a Cockshutt 1365 with loader and FWA - same as yours: one owner, 7000+ hours and only a material bucket. Guy is asking 10000. I passed. It just seems to be a tough market here, trying to get a clean older tractor for a reasonable price. Has my eye on a JD 1120 with only 1350 hours, bucket only and it sold for 9000. It was 3 hours away!

I appreciate the input.

Ya, 2 wheel drive not ideal for snow clearing, although this tractor comes with chains and I would be using a blower.

Thanks for the replies thus far, some good info to consider. Any other input would also be appreciated.

We have a hundred acres - about 38 acres bush (mixed), 7 swamp 25 hay, 25 pasture, and about 5 acres around buildings, gardens,
orchard etc.

We have a couple of Jerseys cows, 7 head total, pasture 20 Hereford cross yearlings for the season, have about 160 freerange
hens, do 300 pastured meatbirds, play with a little duck and guinea fowl breeding, have 7 horses, and do a little foresty and
milling.

We have been using our in-laws equipment mostly - a John Deere 2120 for most of the hay and field work, and a John Deere 5103
for loader work. It is getting a little tiresome trying to line jobs up and driving 4 miles down the road just to do loader
jobs, hence the need for a tractor. Now that I have decided to look, trying to be patient lol.

I guess I read too fast and shimmed over the part about the snow blower coming with it. Being CDN
dollars, and only 4400 hours, I'd say go for it if it's nice. It'll do the job for you. I won't get
in to 1000 pound round bales, but when I bought my baler new, they were supposed to be 1200 pounds,
but the heaviest I've rolled in good dry hay have been 900.

Cat guy: Are you sure you are thinking of the right tractor? 2-70 is a pretty nice tractor to operate IMHO. Basicaly identical to 1655 apart from cast piece added on front that makes air cleaner a lot handier, and sheet metal. Maybe you meant 700??
OP: Just my opinion, but I would hold out for a bit more tractor. No doubt it would work for you, but they are kinda light and small looking tractors. I think you should be able to buy something bigger for the same kind of money if you keep your eye on sales and kijiji, marketplace etc.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/350112197542418/?
ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab4947b7f-7428-4ac9-8ec9-1d6fbf78fadb
Check out this 2130 on Market Place. A lot more tractor, and they were one of the best for that era.

(quoted from post at 23:29:52 11/26/23) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/350112197542418/?
ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab4947b7f-7428-4ac9-8ec9-1d6fbf78fadb
Check out this 2130 on Market Place. A lot more tractor, and they were one of the best for that era.

Hey thanks for the look. I actually was going to take a look at that - it has a weird story though. It was posted a couple of months ago for $6500 - it has over 8500 hours. The guy said it had the heads and turbos done, and had over 5000 in the axles, obviously has been repainted etc. It was bought. Shows back up 4-5 weeks later as a 2130 (it is actually a 2120) for 9000. I picked up on the pictures and asked the guy about it. He said someone bought it and couldn't afford to keep it, so he has it back and it is for sale. Apparently more work has been done to it. Seems a little to all over the place for me. I like those 2120s though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back