Paint prep help

MF294-4

Just bought a 1970 d4d cat that has probably sat outside all its life. No paint some places, no problem. looks like it has been repainted at some time . A lot of the original paint has flaked off. second coat on the original paint is faded and i call dead. Can’t remove anything other than a few shields. What to do to prep? Not a show piece. Just like it to look good from distance. Going to be working in the fence rows etc. i would use a pressure washer with sand but my son does not like the sand in all the seals etc. probably going to use rustoleum paint. Can use an abrasive disk on angle grinder on flat surfaces but to many places you can’ get to. Comments?

If you wanted to sandblast most of it you would be fine. This is a caterpillar dozer it was made to live in the sand it will be fine just don’t blast directly at the seals I also doubt your going to crawl underneath and blast outward at all the idlers and at the duo cones just sandblast from the outside and you will be fine. If you wanted to pop the hood off and do that with a sander you could. The tracks are going to be what they are going to be clean them up as best you can. If you ever have used a caterpillar rattle can it is expensive and it comes out THICK yet fairly run free made to go over what ever you have. Both that and the gallon cans are some of the easiest paint to do and look good plus there isn’t much to mask on an open station d4. Have fun!

I have used a needle scaler on cast and irregular surfaces and was happy with the job it did. Also I use a cordless drill with an end brush of varying sizes to get into tight places. There's no quick fix, it will take some time. I would recommend using a paint with more resistance to fading than Rustoleum.

You might do just as well to go at it first with a hot water pressure washer and detergent which will get off any loose stuff and grease. You can do a light sandblasting or maybe just scrape and use sandpaper. No need to go to bare metal if the base is clean and sound. I would use Cat paint which is likely an alkyd enamel and is very durable and adheres well.

Paint is an implement grade. Will putting hardener in help keep the gloss? What kind of paint is rustoleum ?

Just bought a 1970 d4d cat that has probably sat outside all its life. No paint some places, no problem. looks like it has been repainted at some time . A lot of the original paint has flaked off. second coat on the original paint is faded and i call dead. Can’t remove anything other than a few shields. What to do to prep? Not a show piece. Just like it to look good from distance. Going to be working in the fence rows etc. i would use a pressure washer with sand but my son does not like the sand in all the seals etc. probably going to use rustoleum paint. Can use an abrasive disk on angle grinder on flat surfaces but to many places you can’ get to. Comments?
A1970 Cat could have been painted with Dupont Imron which was top shelf back then. Implement paint is Alkyd enamel which is quick fade, quick weather, WWII technology.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back