Old Floor jack problem

34Case

Ive got an old time garage jack that is mechanical, not hydraulic. Iuse it maybe once every year, and I always forget how to operate it. I finally figured how to raise it, but now I cant get it to go down. It has a pedal piece for your left foot, that, enguageing it raises it, and a 4 point wheel for your hand on the right side across from the foot pedel. Ive sprayed lots of Blaster wherever I see possible movement to no use. I sheared off the nail pin that held the star wheel to the shaft it rests on. Ive got the only jack like this ive ever seen. Not hydraulic

Is this one of those jacks where you have to go up a little and then you can lower it one tooth at a time?

Ive got an old time garage jack that is mechanical, not hydraulic. Iuse it maybe once every year, and I always forget how to operate it. I finally figured how to raise it, but now I cant get it to go down. It has a pedal piece for your left foot, that, enguageing it raises it, and a 4 point wheel for your hand on the right side across from the foot pedel. Ive sprayed lots of Blaster wherever I see possible movement to no use. I sheared off the nail pin that held the star wheel to the shaft it rests on. Ive got the only jack like this ive ever seen. Not hydraulic
A couple pictures might help people help you.

If it's like the one I remember , across from the 4 point wheel there's a foot lever.
Step forward to raise and step it back to jack it down.
and if you let go it'll jack down by it self so be careful.

Timsabolt probably has the answer. they can be stubborn. Up then turn the wheel. (fix the pin so it works!) Jim

Might be a good car show item but as cheap as good jacks are I don't think I'd want to use it. I'd say it probably works like a come a long where you lift it slightly to release the lock and then engage the lock again so you can repeat the process and lower it slowly.

Severasl u are talking about the standard house jack, or RR jack . U dont see those used ina garage. This jack looks exactly like a big garage jack with 4 wheels, a handle at the control end, and a pod that raises and hopefully lowers on the other end.

Severasl u are talking about the standard house jack, or RR jack . U dont see those used ina garage. This jack looks exactly like a big garage jack with 4 wheels, a handle at the control end, and a pod that raises and hopefully lowers on the other end.
There's a Walker Roll A Car jack on EBAY
Does yours look like that?

I inherited one from my Dad. he would flip out at the price.
I think lubing it will work it loose. If you jack it up all the way it should flip to the downward mode on it's own.

Last edited:
I had a stubborn old mechanical jack that misbehaved in the same way . The only way it would lower was if weight was left on it . So if it was raised without weight I would have to push down on it with my foot while operating the ratchet lift/lower mechanism. It's since gone to the scrapyard and good riddance to it .

Picture please, u can explain till ur blue in the face and get no where.

I think lubing it will work it loose. If you jack it up all the way it should flip to the downward mode on it's own.
YES Thats EXACTLY it. Seems like if somebody not used to it jacked a car up all the way, then got under it, but needed a bit more higher, and got someone to keep jacking it all the way up, and it came down on its own, that would be a bad deal. Maybe thats why I never saw one till I got this one lol

What's the lever in the middle of the handle do?

My first impression of how to lower it is, you push the handle down to actuate that "pedal" in the middle, then raise the handle to lower the jack one click. Repeat the process.

DNG i [AOD $15/25? FOR MINE

My first impression of how to lower it is, you push the handle down to actuate that "pedal" in the middle, then raise the handle to lower the jack one click. Repeat the process.
I GOT IT TO GO DOWN/ Pushed the pod down, and the wheel spun. Theres no pedel in the middle. Just the one on the L side that actually has 2 pedals attached to it. Ill experiment with it tonight a little

That adjusts the handle to a lower position , if you try picking up the back axle you hit the back bumper.
You can lower the handle and still jack it up.
The one drawback to the jack is the pivot for the lift sits so high you can have trouble putting it under a low vehicle.
we used ours for years until my dad bought a bigger Hydraulic one.
I still have it , now I want to get out and use it again!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back