Mitsubishi BD2H dozer runs rough and burns oil after tipped

darag2004

New User
Hello,
I am new to the forum. My Mitsubishi BD2H dozer was recently tipped over on its left side in an accident downhill, it ran for around 10 seconds at high throttle and I quickly choked the air intake after the fuel shutoff would not kill it, as it was likely running on oil.

After righting the tractor we let it sit for several weeks then I rotated the engine by hand after pulling the glow plugs and around 1/3 cup of oil came out of cylinders 3 and 4. After several hand rotations I started it and let it idle. It ran ok but oil was dripping out the exhaust. After test driving it I am getting clouds of blue smoke at revs, oil dripping out exhaust, and loss of around 1 quart of oil on the dipstick after several minutes.

I suspect oil got into the cylinders during the rollover and hydrolocked it causing at least 1 bent rod. The tractor ran great before this just mild oil burning. I have drained the oil now and it seems it had tiny metal shavings. Do you think I should pull the oil pan and inspect crank/ bearings? If I can get away with replacing rod(s)/bearings that would be ok at this point. It has a S4S non turbo engine. Thanks in advance!

Bad luck that hope you were not hurt,you don't have much choice but to remove the pan and head to access the damage,if the crank is ok you can fit any other bits with the engine in situ.
AJ

Yes, fortunately no one was hurt, thank you.

I will most likely remove the oil pan this weekend to assess the lower end and check for bent rods before proceeding to continue using the tractor. If there are any, I will look at replacing at least the damaged rod(s) and cylinder parts as needed with refreshing the head.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back