John Deere 2020 PTO Clutch Adjustment

Big Toe 4121

New User
Good morning. I was wondering if anyone out there could walk me thru on how to adjust the PTO clutch on a John Deere 2020? I purchased the tractor about a year ago and when I was running the square baler that when I eased the clutch out that the PTO engaged at the same time as the transmission.

Good morning. I was wondering if anyone out there could walk me thru on how to adjust the PTO clutch on a John Deere 2020? I purchased the tractor about a year ago and when I was running the square baler that when I eased the clutch out that the PTO engaged at the same time as the transmission.
Welcome to the Forums.

Not all 2020s had the continuous-running (aka live, two stage clutch) PTO. Some only had a transmission-driven PTO (single stage clutch). Your description of the PTO engaging at the same time as the transmission sounds like you have the transmission driven clutch. If that is the case there is no adjustment for the PTO clutch.

On the left side of your 2020 there should be a snap-in couple covers, about 3" in diameter, in the clutch housing. Pop the one closest to the engine out. Take and post a couple pictures of the pressure plate and we can confirm what you have.

Another possibility is dual stage pto clutch if applicable is stuck to pressure plate. Remove front round inspection cover in LH side of clutch housing. Ditto on taking a photo of pressure plate & post it on this forum to see if someone can ID type of pressure plate.

There is also a grease fitting in there . Odds are nobody has read the operator’s manual in 40 years and greased it .
There is a setup procedure for the two stage clutch .

There is also a grease fitting in there . Odds are nobody has read the operator’s manual in 40 years and greased it .
There is a setup procedure for the two stage clutch .
Hopefully he comes back with a picture so we can tell which clutch/PTO he has. If it is a single stage "transmission" PTO his description sounds like it is working correctly.

I agree the seldom get greased as they should.

Here are some pictures.
IMG_20240324_133242548.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240324_133234889.jpg
    IMG_20240324_133234889.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
Here's one more
That appears to be a two-stage clutch. Below is a picture of a finger and pivot of the clutch in my 2020.Finger pivots like this one.

You say the PTO takes at the same time as when you ease the transmission clutch in. The transmission clutch should be engaging when the pedal is about halfway up. The PTO clutch should be engaging about as soon as the pedal lifts off the running board.

How much free play in your clutch pedal? Is the pedal set for PTO operation? Do you have an Operator's Manual? The info for these two questions is in the manual. If you don't post back and we can tell you where you can download a free copy, rather than typing it all out. And the Operator's manual may help you with other things.

IMG_2923.JPG

I don't have an operating manual yet. I was planning on getting it. There is roughly an inch of free travel on the pedal.

To get a free copy of the Operator's Manual for your 2020 use this link to go to the JD Ag & Turf Bookstore.

JD Ag & Turf Bookstore

Once on that homepage, click on the Equipment Publications tab.

When that page opens enter 2020 in the box beside Model # and search. You should get a dropdown list of equipment with 2020 in the model #.

Click on 2020 in the list, that should open another list of just 2020 items.

Look down the list to Tractors - Base Units-North America (guessing you have a North American tractor). It appears there are two listings for Grove Models and two listings for utility models and serial number ranges related for them to pick from, select the model and serial number range your tractor serial number falls in.

When it opens the list of manuals for that serial number range, you should see Operator's Manual, click on it. They are available in several languages so pick the one you want (clicking on them opens them so you can see the language).

To the right of that it should have a download icon or say Download. Click on the icon (or download) and it will download a free pdf copy of the Operator's Manual to your device which you can then save to your device. You can also print the download . If you want a book or CD the prices for those are shown below that, they are not free. The technical manual options are there if you chose to purchase, those are not free. HTH

Look in the index for clutch and find the pages for adjusting the linkage, It is around page 35-36 in my operator's manual. Make sure those adjustments are right before going deeper. Where (how far up from being pushed fully down) does the transmission clutch start to move the tractor now.

I'll go in this morning and download the manual, Thanks. The clutch engages fairly close to the top so I figure that it's wore some but I'm hoping to get another season out of it before I'm going to have to split it and replace the clutch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back