JD 348 Baler Auger Frame Removal

Axtell

Trying to remove the auger to do some housing work. I have removed everything I am supposed to remove per the service manual so the frame should slide out, except it is not. For one it is heavy but we can't seem to get it to budge. The rods slide freely in the frame and Auger. Only thing I can think of is where the collar was secured to the frame with two bolts may be sticking and the only thing I can think of doing is to tie something to the frame and try to break it loose. Anyone had to deal with this before?

Thanks!

mvphoto100226.png

mvphoto100227.png

mvphoto100228.png

Always works well on the new model in the shop or factory where they show the pictures. 20 or more years later there is this thing called rust and dirt/chaff that has an amazing affect on things not coming apart as described in the books. Not sure if that is the problem or not but sure doesn't help any.

My guess is one or both auger hex driveshafts are binding in brg(item 10)hex inner races. You could try removing cotter pin(item 24) in end of auger then attempt to slide auger towards baler bale case & then attempt to remove auger frame

mvphoto100304.png

You got that right and I've had my share. We've sprayed the collar a couple of times and let it work over night. We'll spray it again and see if we can break it loose. Right now both hex shafts freely move and the auger itself can slide into the compartment.
mvphoto100314.png

WoooWhoo!!

I used a few combinations of chisels/screwdrivers to break the collar loose to where I could rotate it around the shaft. It still would not budge but I m sure that made it better. I on the other side I took a hydraulic jaw-like spreader and put outward pressure on it until the auger housing started to bend. With the pressure still applied I took the chisel and tapped to rotate the collar and then it popped loose. It came out 6-8 inches on its own.

Thanks Jim / Catepillar Guy!
mvphoto100329.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back