IH 300U - Carburetor...curiosity

Dave H (MI)

I bought a set of off-shore angled open end wrenches from Amazon. Don't know how I would have gotten the carb off any other way without screwing something else up. I've seen some ugly carbs, but this one wins. A couple pictures worth anything I would have to say. A lot of rust. About a tablespoon of some kind of dead bug that looks like mouse but isn't. Water clearly found it's way to the carb at some point. The rest is what happens when you are half way thru a project and you are suddenly and unexpectedly swept away in another direction. I would seriously consider a new carb if it is an option...I haven't had time to look yet. I'm not sure if a kit would fix it and if I have to put in a new float this carb will likely drip gas for eternity. It's just the way it is, don't judge me. I have had some lousy luck with floats. Is the small copper tube broken on the carb? I did not do it as I knew it was there. Anyway...pictures for your entertainment...

cvphoto160705.jpg

cvphoto160706.jpg

This site sells rebuilt (pretty big bucks) they can also be had on Ebay, and salvage stores like Bates Equipment in Bourbon Indiana. Jim

No big deal there, soak it in gunk for a few days as I said before, I have cleaned many carbs like that. Might need some brushing after and make sure the ports are open and clean and check the float by keeping it submerged also. Hard to see but I think its done with. Floats are about 75.00

I agree with the vinegar, might even give it a cleaning after the couple day soak. Then put it in a fresh batch and then boil or at least keep the solution hot a couple hours on a grill.
Floats are available from YT for $22, see link.
Carb float

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back