Help identifying old lawn tractor

jimmyjambone

New User
I am trying to identify an old lawn tractor that has been kicking around my uncle's farm for many years. It is 3 wheeled, labeled "Monarch 24", with a Clinton engine. I would like to know where I can find more info on them, where they were made, when, by whom, and approximate value. Interestingly, the tractor is pretty much all cast aluminum. I have scoured the internet for several hours and cannot come up with any info on it.
To clear up the picture.... the engine is between your legs, that is a piece of plastic thrown over the engine. also, the seat is exactly as it appears, has no back and is made from wire mesh. It was designed with no padding.

Attachments

• 20240303_104923.jpg
    20240303_104923.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 90
  • 20240303_104929.jpg
    20240303_104929.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 100
  • 20240303_104933.jpg
    20240303_104933.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 98
  • 20240303_104941.jpg
    20240303_104941.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 91
  • 20240303_104941.jpg
    20240303_104941.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 20240303_104957.jpg
    20240303_104957.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 91
It looks similar to one I kept around for a few years. Finally sold it when I realized it was no longer enhancing my life. Very hard to find info and they don't have much value even among hardcore collectors. Mine was marked, very faintly, WARDSMASTER. Two front steer wheels and a pair of rear wheels side-by-side with a sprocket in the middle for chain drive. 24" deck with twin blades, all powered by a little Clinton motor. The yellow color is where someone started to repaint it. Otherwise, all aqua green over steel sheetmetal.
AD84CC20-E51E-4291-A7D0-8C57E11F0417.jpeg

I had a push mower made with the same type of metal and it also had a Clinton engine . It was made for and sold by Montgomery Wards .So maybe that is the story for Yours also. Roy

"not enhancing your life".... yeah, i hear you there. i am currently engaged in a major garage/shop cleanout due to all the things i have been moving spot to spot for 20 years on the idea i would rebuild them or they would come in handy. anyway, the seat is definitely very similar. the wheels are reversed, mine is single front steering. and there is no sheetmetal, the entire tractor is cast aluminum. you would think with Monarch cast into the side someone somewhere would have posted about it. or a picture of it. better hope that gas tank never explodes, might take some valuables with it.

"not enhancing your life".... yeah, i hear you there. i am currently engaged in a major garage/shop cleanout due to all the things i have been moving spot to spot for 20 years on the idea i would rebuild them or they would come in handy. anyway, the seat is definitely very similar. the wheels are reversed, mine is single front steering. and there is no sheetmetal, the entire tractor is cast aluminum. you would think with Monarch cast into the side someone somewhere would have posted about it. or a picture of it. better hope that gas tank never explodes, might take some valuables with it.
I'm interested in who was the intended buyer for these tiny lawn tractors. They must have been targeting someone, but I don't see how these machines would be capable of much work unless your grass were only one or two inches high. They had to both cut the grass and carry a rider around at the same time. Big job for those little guys. BTW the gas tank is located a little forward of where it is in the photo on my tractor. Still a little close for comfort.

But the yard size has grown by a hundred fold. Grandma's yard was 100 x50 moms is 100x300 and mine is around 3 acres . The old farm house had a yard you could mow in 20 minutes with a push reel mower . But I am not raising livestock so I mow grass

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back