gasket sealer?

joeandsherry

New User
I am replacing the head gasket on a 1960 diesel fordson super major, i am new to this kind of work and i ask, do i need any kind of gasket sealer like permatex for the head gasket, manifold gasket, thermostat gasket or valve cover gasket?

Head gasket, copper coat, but not really necessary, manifold gasket, no. Thermostat, non hardening Permatex. Rocker cover gasket, I usually
stick them to the valve cover with contact cement, and a light coat of non hardening Permatex on the head contact surface.

K-W Copper Coat spray.. Identify top of head gasket and spray both sides of head the gasket.. Will fill in uneven spots in the surface and seal... Good stuff..

gasket selaer needed on pto or dipstick cover on the center housing? I am about to install and have paper gaskets. obviously will clean both surfaces very well prior to install

It won't hurt, I only used grey silicone on mine, no gasket. Ultrablack is fine too but harder to remove if you have to take it apart, but being a Major that likely won't be until the end century or later, if ever. :)

I am replacing the head gasket on a 1960 diesel fordson super major, i am new to this kind of work and i ask, do i need any kind of gasket sealer like permatex for the head gasket, manifold gasket, thermostat gasket or valve cover gasket?
You have good advice in these posts, I would add only one other thing, check the liner protrusion above the block, not from the top of the spigot but from the lower surface. Should be between 0.002" thou and 0.004" thou. If it is less than this, it will not matter how much sealer you put on your gasket, it will blow again. The gap is set by shims under the liners.

gasket selaer needed on pto or dipstick cover on the center housing? I am about to install and have paper gaskets. obviously will clean both surfaces very well prior to install
Just to keep things straight, my reply below is to t_turner's question not the head gasket sealer question. Guess replies don't show the quote now.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back