Fordson dexta gas tractor

I have a fordson dexta gas..4 cylinder..it it a Ferguson motor or what??. I believe it's a 61??
Hi Marc, you have a bit of a rare tractor there, until 1990 I had never seen one in England and I worked for many years servicing and selling Ford and Fordson tractors for a large dealership. Only 4000 were built and were mainly exported to cold countries where there were concerns about the diesel version not starting. Many went to Scandinavia, others to Australia, Canada and New Zealand with some getting into the US but not in large numbers.

The engine is not a Ferguson engine, it was made by the Standard Motor Company who also supplied and built engines and tractors for Ferguson. It has some resemblance to the Fergy engine but is the industrial version with a fuel pump and the starter on a different side. Some of the parts like pistons, liners, gaskets, ignition components etc. are the same but starter, flywheel, clutch, carburettor, starter ring gear and other bits are different. The starter and the ring gear are made of unobtanium so be careful with them.

I own one and love it dearly, mine came from New Zealand and now lives in England. I collect the engine numbers and serial numbers so would be grateful if you could let me have yours to add to my archive.

I have a friend in Australia who had a collection of them and, on my first trip down under, he and his friends lined the road into his town with them to great me. I have also been on a tractor bush trek driving one on a couple of occasions.

DSC00161.JPG

My petrol on one of it's many trips to a show in Holland.

Interesting!!! I didn't realize such a critter exists. It's amazing what a person can learn, if they pay attention.

Interesting!!! I didn't realize such a critter exists. It's amazing what a person can learn, if they pay attention.
I learn something every day on here Skip. An even more rare beast is the Dexta 44, a couple have appeared for sale and I would love to own one but too old now. They are a Dexta with a Fordson Major engine, they have a modified clutch housing so the engine bolts straight in and the Dexta steering parts, bonnet and front cowl all remain as the Dexta. Only about 50 of those were built.

I learn something every day on here Skip. An even more rare beast is the Dexta 44, a couple have appeared for sale and I would love to own one but too old now. They are a Dexta with a Fordson Major engine, they have a modified clutch housing so the engine bolts straight in and the Dexta steering parts, bonnet and front cowl all remain as the Dexta. Only about 50 of those were built.
How could you possibly get enough weight to handle that much horsepower. The Dexta had a real good power to weight ratio. My buddy bought a 4110 last fall. that's a 4000 engine fitted to a 2000 front end, transmission and differential. I'm glad he's just going to use it to rake hay, because I know who's going to get to repair it.

How could you possibly get enough weight to handle that much horsepower. The Dexta had a real good power to weight ratio. My buddy bought a 4110 last fall. that's a 4000 engine fitted to a 2000 front end, transmission and differential. I'm glad he's just going to use it to rake hay, because I know who's going to get to repair it.
The Dexta was rated at 38 hp, my petrol is 39 hp and the Super Dexta got up to 45 hp so the Major engine at 44 hp would be OK with the transmission and rear axle. The main gearbox problems came from wear on the gear sticks so they could jump out of the selectors. Saying that, my 60 year old petrol changes gear perfectly still, like all things, it depends how hard you are with it, take a little time and it is fine.

The petrol engine is slightly longer and a better weight position compared to the diesel IMHO. I use a two furrow Ransomes Robin plough or a Ford Ransomes PM 2, 2 furrow plough and this gives perfect weight balance. I can plough in surprisingly poor conditions with those, where my Major and Nuffield will get stuck.

The 4100 is a good tractor, the engine used is the pre-force one so is not quite as powerful. It would be great for mowing, ploughing and transport work but a bit light in the front axle for heavy loader work. I have a friend who has had one since the 1970's on a small farm and gets on well with it.

The Dexta was rated at 38 hp, my petrol is 39 hp and the Super Dexta got up to 45 hp so the Major engine at 44 hp would be OK with the transmission and rear axle. The main gearbox problems came from wear on the gear sticks so they could jump out of the selectors. Saying that, my 60 year old petrol changes gear perfectly still, like all things, it depends how hard you are with it, take a little time and it is fine.

The petrol engine is slightly longer and a better weight position compared to the diesel IMHO. I use a two furrow Ransomes Robin plough or a Ford Ransomes PM 2, 2 furrow plough and this gives perfect weight balance. I can plough in surprisingly poor conditions with those, where my Major and Nuffield will get stuck.

The 4100 is a good tractor, the engine used is the pre-force one so is not quite as powerful. It would be great for mowing, ploughing and transport work but a bit light in the front axle for heavy loader work. I have a friend who has had one since the 1970's on a small farm and gets on well with it.
Interesting; thanks Brian. We had an occasional Dexta (all three cyl diesels) come through the shop, but only if a close friend of the boss ask for one. He specialized in importing the Majors, then the 5000s for one purpose. We put the Howard rotovator gear boxes in them to pull green pea combines.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back