Ford 2000 questions 1962-1975

Evan Inman

New User
In the future I plan on restoring my 1972 ford 2000 gas down to every last bearing. I have a question, I plan on getting 12.4/28 tires in the future along with pie weights too(as well as calcium chloride fluid), but do you think my fully restored 2000 could handle a model 730 industrial front end loader with a front hydraulic pump comfortably? I ve seen people say that they can run these loaders well, is this true or not?

It can run a loader with no immediate problems. If it does not have power steering then it will be increasingly harder to steer as the load in the bucket increases. Also, there will be excessive wear on the front axle, so you will need to replace the bushings far sooner than otherwise, and possibly other parts as well. The wear on the front axle parts will be more noticeable without the power steering, but it will be there even if it has power steering, but you won't notice it until the damage is further along than you would notice it without power steering.

[i:654c4848f0]''In the future I plan on restoring my
1972 ford 2000 gas down to every last
bearing.''[/i:654c4848f0]

Don't fix what ain't broke.

A 730 will fit on a 72 2000.
I did it once and won't do it again.
It was a difficult job.
You will scratch your pretty paint
installing it - even with a good gantry
crane, you will have to chop a
big hole in the valance under the radiator
for the pump. It will make it Very
difficult to do maintenance or repairs on
the tractor, will make a dreadnought out
of that nimble little tractor and if you
don't have power steering will require 40
acres to turn it around.
I would look for a 772 loader instead.
It will still make a behemoth out of your
tractor, wear out the front end and make
it hard to work on but is [b:654c4848f0]WAY[/b:654c4848f0]
easier to install or remove.

As Sean and Ultradog say.
You will do more harm than good. Power steering is a must and four wheel assist is highly desirable with loader work. Keep your little 2000 as a fun worker bee and use the money you save to buy a loader tractor designed to do loader work.

This post was edited by Tom in Mo. on 11/27/2023 at 03:53 am.

This is beginning to look a lot like, "don't ask a question that you don't want to hear the answer to". :)

Looks like the general opinion is Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD!! I have to agree, One of my co workers had a 2000 3
cylinder, and put a loader on it. That lasted about 6 months, and off it came. Sure glad he did. I'm the one that had to maintain it.

FWIW I have a 2600 diesel with a bush hog loader on it. It can be very handy but it has limitations. As long as I stay within the limitations it's fine. Mine is a detachable which is the only way I would want a loader unless I had multiple tractors. I have power steering and I don't think I would want a loader without it. I have to use a counterweight on the 3 pt. even though I have the tires loaded. The big mistake is if you face downhill and try to back up even after you dump the loader. I've had to use the loader to push myself back. My loader can easily be over loaded for the tractor and will lift a lot more weight than the tractor wants or needs.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back