Ford 2000 PTO Output Shaft removal

I have removed the PTO shaft and bearing retainer from my 4 speed Ford 2000. To remove the output shaft from the retainer the disassembly instructions say to remove the snap ring from the front of the retainer (assembly diagram shows this to be the larger of two snap rings) and remove the shaft and bearing from the retainer. I have removed the larger snap ring from the retainer, but the output shaft and bearing will not come out. The assembly does move forward about the width of the snap ring groove in the retainer, but then stops hard. When I look from the forward end of the retainer, at the bearing, I see nothing preventing the assembly from coming out. When I look into the rear of the retainer where the output shaft comes through, I see what looks like the rubber of the oil seal surrounding the shaft, but I also see what looks like the part that the assembly diagram calls the sleeve coming through the oil seal and out to the base of the splines. What appears to be preventing the removal of the assembly is the sleeve coming in contact with the rubber of the seal as I try to pull the shaft and bearing forward. It is definitely when forward motion stops. I have tried hitting it from the aft end with a small rubber mallet with no success. I am reluctant to hit it any harder without asking for advice.

Thanks.

I can't see it from here, but I'm suspecting the bearing is merely hitting on a slightly deformed edge caused by the pressure and impact of the bearing hitting the snap ring over the years. I would put the rubber mallet away and get a real hammer involved.

I just re-read the disassembly instructions and I don't really understand why the smaller snap ring needs to be removed. The disassembly instructions end with removing the small snap ring, after the sleeve and bearing have been removed and the re-assembly instructions begin by re-installing the snap ring before installing the bearing and sleeve. The only reason I see to remove it would be to replace it. (?)

I reinstalled the output shaft assembly (new seal, new bearing, new sleeve) into the tractor and refilled the system with UTF and it is leaking. It looks like the leak path is between the output shaft and the sleeve. Looking at the bottom of the splines, where they come out of the sleeve, oil is collecting in the space between the sleeve and the bottom most groove of the shaft. When I pack that space with a paper towel the oil wicks out into the towel instead of rolling over the lip of the sleeve and running down into the retainer. Any guidance will be very much appreciated.

Are you trying to remove the pto shaft without unbolting the 4 bolt rear support, the small snap ring inside keeps the pto shaft from sliding out the rear

Thank you for your reply. I did remove the four bolts holding the retainer to the axel and removed the retainer, output shaft, bearing, seal and sleeve assembly. My mistake with the smaller snap ring was in trying to remove it toward the front of the shaft while I was waiting for advice on getting the bearing and sleeve out of the retainer (thank you Harry in Ky). Once the bearing was removed, I found that the diameter of the shaft is smaller on the rear side of the snap ring groove, making it easier to remove. The problem that I have now is that I have re-assembled everything to the tractor and the leak is worse than when I started. Reviewing pictures that I took before disassembly I see that I did not install the seal as far into the retainer as the old one was. None of the assembly instructions I have define how far the seal should be seated and I don't know if this would cause oil to leak between the shaft and the sleeve.

I disassembled everything and found that the inner diameter of the new sleeve was .002 inches larger than the old sleeve. I put it all back together with the old sleeve and the leak was gone. I bush hogged for an hour and there was no leak. I let it sit overnight and there is no leak. I think I'm done.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back