Deepest Apologies about unread posts

cpratt

Administrator
Staff member
Many people have been confused because they would read a thread and upon returning to the forum thread list, it was showing as New. I had seen this a couple of times but it wasn't clear why it was happening, and I thought it was infrequent. As it turns out, it happened in any thread where someone would reply to a reply. John in la tied it up in a bow for me (he figured out the conditions it happened under) and I was able to find and correct it.

You will see this still for a time because any thread in that state, will stay in that state until you read it again, or someone else replies to it (which fortunately, you would want to read it anyway). If a thread shows New (and a bold faced title), click on it, and when you then return to the forum by pressing the forum name link, it should show as having been read.

I realize how much confusion this has caused for everyone and I am deeply sorry. The method I used to test that was to just make posts with one of my usernames. This would never fail. Only when more than one person was participating in a discussion would it show up.

Many people have been confused because they would read a thread and upon returning to the forum thread list, it was showing as New. I had seen this a couple of times but it wasn't clear why it was happening, and I thought it was infrequent. As it turns out, it happened in any thread where someone would reply to a reply. John in la tied it up in a bow for me (he figured out the conditions it happened under) and I was able to find and correct it.

You will see this still for a time because any thread in that state, will stay in that state until you read it again, or someone else replies to it (which fortunately, you would want to read it anyway). If a thread shows New (and a bold faced title), click on it, and when you then return to the forum by pressing the forum name link, it should show as having been read.

I realize how much confusion this has caused for everyone and I am deeply sorry. The method I used to test that was to just make posts with one of my usernames. This would never fail. Only when more than one person was participating in a discussion would it show up.
Oh, that'll be sweet if you have fixed it. As I was seeing thst too. Anyrhing replied too... was going back to bold with the NEW. D8d not mention it, as I figured it just was what it was. 🙂

Oh, that'll be sweet if you have fixed it. As I was seeing thst too. Anyrhing replied too... was going back to bold with the NEW. D8d not mention it, as I figured it just was what it was. 🙂
Yep it's not returned since the fix. Remember that threads you haven't read a certain thread since that time, it could still show up that way. Once read, they will stay read until someone replies to them.

correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this simply an example of browser caching which has gone on forever?

kudos if u can override it, but this was nothing exotic. i am stunned by the number of people who had apparently never seen this behavior before.

correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this simply an example of browser caching which has gone on forever?

kudos if u can override it, but this was nothing exotic. i am stunned by the number of people who had apparently never seen this behavior before.
No, the browser caching problem remains. If people hit back arrow, they are not going to see any changes. This was that xenForo was programmed to only look at the last post in a thread to determine if new posts are available. I changed it to go through the entire thread and look for any posts with a date newer than when the thread was last read.

The problem was, when I added the Threaded View concept, the newest post wouldn't necessarily be the last post. I didn't catch that because of a myopic view that "surely they wouldn't just look at the last post to determine currency". Then I realized that is was perfectly reasonable for them to do it that way given the normal thread post order. Normally, in any forum made, the last post is the newest.

It was a sloppy assumption. ;)

Reactions: HFJ
No, the browser caching problem remains. If people hit back arrow, they are not going to see any changes. This was that xenForo was programmed to only look at the last post in a thread to determine if new posts are available. I changed it to go through the entire thread and look for any posts with a date newer than when the thread was last read.

The problem was, when I added the Threaded View concept, the newest post wouldn't necessarily be the last post. I didn't catch that because of a myopic view that "surely they wouldn't just look at the last post to determine currency". Then I realized that is was perfectly reasonable for them to do it that way given the normal thread post order. Normally, in any forum made, the last post is the newest.

It was a sloppy assumption. ;)

I personally think if the system would have been left alone to operate as intended most everyone would be up to speed on it by now anyway.

I mean, if someone buys a new tractor do they immediately take it apart to try to change what they don't know or understand or do they learn how to use it and carry on?

Anyway, cpratt, you and the others who are working hard at trying to please everyone are to be commended for your efforts.

I personally think if the system would have been left alone to operate as intended most everyone would be up to speed on it by now anyway.

I mean, if someone buys a new tractor do they immediately take it apart to try to change what they don't know or understand or do they learn how to use it and carry on?

Anyway, cpratt, you and the others who are working hard at trying to please everyone are to be commended for your efforts.
I can't at all disagree with that. I find it difficult not to attempt to find solutions that please everyone, but, it's clear from comments I get, it's not possible, and worse, by doing those solutions, I'm responsible for not allowing change in peoples habits, that long ago improved how applications work in virtually the entire net.

I empathize with those who are disgruntled because, I too can't change at the rate the world is changing. It happened just yesterday that my son and I were arguing about the change in the phone OS. It was to me at first an irrational mess they'd created in "improving" the interface. Took about an hour of mulling it over in my head before my anger dissipated and I realized why (and had to eat crow). It wasn't done right the first time and they made it right now. But my brain had to have time to adjust to why it made more sense than the way I'd become used to using it. Suddenly I realized that the old way was the actual mess and I had just learned to think of that mess as correct and patterned my behavior and thinking around it's odd order. Not everything is that way of course, infrequently changes are for the sake of change, but not very often, usually there is a very good reason that I'm just not aware of.

Basically, that's my long winded way of saying you are absolutely right. It doesn't change what we are going to do to attempt to appease people because that is what we do out of empathy.

I can't at all disagree with that. I find it difficult not to attempt to find solutions that please everyone, but, it's clear from comments I get, it's not possible, and worse, by doing those solutions, I'm responsible for not allowing change in peoples habits, that long ago improved how applications work in virtually the entire net.

I empathize with those who are disgruntled because, I too can't change at the rate the world is changing. It happened just yesterday that my son and I were arguing about the change in the phone OS. It was to me at first an irrational mess they'd created in "improving" the interface. Took about an hour of mulling it over in my head before my anger dissipated and I realized why (and had to eat crow). It wasn't done right the first time and they made it right now. But my brain had to have time to adjust to why it made more sense than the way I'd become used to using it. Suddenly I realized that the old way was the actual mess and I had just learned to think of that mess as correct and patterned my behavior and thinking around it's odd order. Not everything is that way of course, infrequently changes are for the sake of change, but not very often, usually there is a very good reason that I'm just not aware of.

Basically, that's my long winded way of saying you are absolutely right. It doesn't change what we are going to do to attempt to appease people because that is what we do out of empathy.

Well said.

"I mean, if someone buys a new tractor do they immediately take it apart to try to change what they don't know or understand or do they learn how to use it and carry on?"

That's been my thought the past couple weeks. There was a thread here a while back about some Am**h that were finally allowed to use a tractor, but they had to put steel wheels on it. Seems to me like that's what's happening here. We're trying to put the steel wheels back on our brand new tractor because some of the drivers can't leave their horses and buggies! Face it folks! This is 2024. Let's catch up to the rest of the world!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back