Cummins 6bt+Allison AT545 swap into Oliver or White tractor.

Westcoast

New User
Hi All,
I've been doing a lot of reading on here regarding swapping a Cummins 12 valve into an Oliver 1850, 1955, White 2-105 etc and think it sounds like a fun project.
I found a good running Cummins in a '93 Bluebird bus which is mated to an auto Allison AT545 transmission. Could a guy get rid of the old engine, bellhousing/clutch and the 3speed over/under and have space in there for the bus Cummins+AT545? The dimensions of the 545 are length 27", height 20.35" width 19.84". How big are the over under powershift units? If it did fit I was thinking to change gears on the standard tractor transmission with the AT545 in neutral and the AT545 could kinda do the job of the old clutch and over under trans? Would this work? Not sure how the 545 would be connected to the tractor transmission.
This idea was inspired by an old time that I saw put an engine and auto trans from a Nissan truck in a old farmall tractor and mated it to the original transmission. It seemd to work pretty good for him but he has passed on so i cant quiz him about it.

If this did work (physically fit in the space etc) would it be efficient? Pros and cons?

Thanks!

If it fits, it might be ok for just driving around, but that’s about it. The torque converter will slip a lot, so any serious drawbar work will be slow and inefficient. And you’ll need a large transmission oil cooler.

And I have no idea how you can install a viable PTO.

Have fun!

If it fits, it might be ok for just driving around, but that’s about it. The torque converter will slip a lot, so any serious drawbar work will be slow and inefficient. And you’ll need a large transmission oil cooler.

And I have no idea how you can install a viable PTO.

Have fun!
Ya, I don't know how you'd run the PTO and hydraulics without the hollow shaft.

The engine swap would be an interesting project, but the Allison 545 wouldn’t be a good idea in my opinion
The Oliver’s pto shaft runs thru the hydra power and splines to the flywheel. You would have to figure out and modify the shaft to connect it to the Allison, and then you would only have correct pto speed when the transmission is in drive, providing you don’t have torque converter slippage
Those transmissions have a natural tendency to roll even in neutral, they rely on the vehicles brakes to stop the drive shaft, once you shift the tractor’s transmissions into neutral you’ll have a hard time getting it back in gear

Ok that's all good information. Thanks!
PTO sounds like it would be a major challenge with this idea and good point about the auto trans rolling even when in neutral and making shifting of the standard hard. Forgetting about those issues for a moment would a trans such as an Allison MT643 with lock up work? Is it possible to "force" a 643 to lock up? (make a switch in cab to lock/unlock).

Lock up is the torque converter, it would eliminate converter slippage but wouldn’t help with the roll problem
All of the Allison transmissions for MD/HD trucks do not have a park feature like a pickup has, the trucks brake or parking brake system is its park feature
When parking you put the trans in neutral and set the brakes, the tractor’s transmission shifted to neutral is like disconnecting the trucks drive shaft, the Allison’s output shaft is going to roll and you won’t be able to get the transmission back in gear without shutting the engine off

If you want to install a Cummins your best solution is to still use the 3-speed. Maibach makes an adapter plate to mate the factory clutch to the Cummins. They are extremely knowledgeable.

If you want to install a Cummins your best solution is to still use the 3-speed. Maibach makes an adapter plate to mate the factory clutch to the Cummins. They are extremely knowledgeable.

That’s what I would do
I used an adapter plate to mate a 5.9 Cummins to my Ford ZF transmission

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back