Corn harvest in NE Iowa...

big tee

I've been helping Son with the 2021 corn harvest--It is slow going for we got that 80-100 mph wind storm in August and it blew a lot of stuff down. A lot of his corn is on the ground and he has to harvest it one way. My job is semi driver--Most of his corn is going to the ethanol plan which is 11 mi. away so if the line isn't too long I can keep up hauling for it takes twice as long to fill the truck. We got rained out the other day so he still has 50 acres left-had 10 good days in a row. Everybody is ornery---Tee
cvphoto108045.jpg

After the wind
cvphoto108047.jpg

The Wife was filling the semi with the one cart but I knew it wouldn't fill it so I jumped in the other one and got another 150 bu.-Picking one way--Deere 9600 and 8 row head. Dumping on the go.
cvphoto108051.jpg

My rides.
cvphoto108054.jpg

500,000 bu. bin at the ethanol plant after the wind--didn't get it fixed.
cvphoto108057.jpg

They had trucks stopped for they were trying to pull the dent out of the bin so they can take it down.
cvphoto108058.jpg

There was a crew trying to cover the big pile last Wednesday but must be nobody checked the forecast for the wind made a sail out of the tarp. That is all for now

I have heard guys talking about down corn harvest. One guy said going one way the corn was yielding 180 bu and going the other way it was yielding 230 bu/a,so he was combining one way.

I hope I never see a corn crop like that. I had rootworm one year in corn silage and had to chop that one way but only about 10 acres. Tom

TEE, wondered how you were getting along. I saw your post this summer about having corn go down. I did about 100 acres for my neighbor and about 10 of my own that looked like that. NO FUN! The neighbor's S780 with 12 row head had a reel to keep the corn feeding in, auto steer to help keep it on the row, auto height and tilt to keep the points on the ground, and header pitch that you can adjust on the go from the cab. That all helped but we still left enough to keep the deer well fed this winter. Since I only had 10 acres of my own that was down bad, I managed without putting the reel on my 9560. I picked up one rock from running the header down on the ground, but thankfully it was big enough that it jammed in the feeder house and didn't make it to the rotor. WHEW! Glad to be done. Excellent yields. And it is going to be fun selling at these prices. Good luck as you finish up! ADB

Don't know the yields--Son has that special two speed yield monitor-One speed for the banker and one for the landlord!!!!!---Tee

cvphoto108071.jpg

This pic was taken a few miles down the road--It is 20 in. rows and he was picking it at a angle--His trucker was in front of me the other day at the pit and said he was getting 100 bu. per acre--probably less than half...
cvphoto108074.jpg

Son bought a different corn head this year but claimed the snoots would not stay on the ground so he is using the one I had with the plastic snoots with cast iron points??? Almost every farmer has a year they never forget--Mine was 1982--I am sure Son will remember 2021--Thanks---Tee

We never really had much of a problem with down corn, even years root worms were bad back in 1960's & '70's. But every July about 5 to 7 days before the oats were ripe enough to combine we'd get a big thunderstorm that would lay ONLY the good yielding spots in the oats flat on the ground.
Used a Super M-TA or 450 on a Deere #25 or #30 pull type combine, 1st gear with TA back was almost slow enough for the downed oats. One year had a 2-3 acre spot that was standing but
wet, Tractor on combine sinking and spinning, hooked another tractor to it and got over in the dry and could go.

I saw a lot of the Deracho in Iowa September of 2020 going across Iowa to FARMALL LAND before it closed. While I was in the neighborhood, drove thru Ida Grove to see Midwest Mfg, and Byron's, then up to La Mar's for ICE CREAM. Company I worked for 25 years ago built their ice cream machines, guy that sat next to me installed and wired them.

With it that flat why would a flex head not work better than a cornhead. Often wondered about that. Flex head cuts soybeans right at the ground so should do so with corn. You are still running most of the stalk through with it down like that. Just a thought.

We tried it Caterpiller Guy 1 time after a 135 mph substained wind from a hurricane. The trouble we had was the stalk never really dries down, at least not for us, once it's flattened. It would take in everything, and I mean everything, if you can keep the fingers on the reel. There is so much more dirt and the stalks are so damp that the combine was on a non-stop constant edge of staying plugged. We made better time picking 1 way with corn head in a manner where the row would lift off top of next row, not from underneath it. There was nowhere near the trash and wear.Still is extremely aggravating tho.

I thought the ONLY rocks in Iowa were in the NE corner!!!---A never ending battle...

We don't have many but the glacier that gouged out the Skunk River valley left a few on the hills just off the river bottom. I have a couple hillsides where I grow a few. The biggest ones are about 6 to 8 inches. My older son lives in Rhode Island and my younger son lives in SW Missouri. They have ROCKS.

This post was edited by ADB-Ia on 11/15/2021 at 06:54 pm.

Gotta have the two speed yield monitor . High for the bank so you can borrow the money to do it next year . Actual yield so you can pay the land lord

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back