CLAAS 96 Dominator combine question ????

Crazy Horse

I am posting this question for a friend. He is going to access and remove the starter from a CLAAS 96 Dominator combine, probably from the mid-80's I believe. He wants to know how does he access the engine compartment so as to be able to remove the starter? Other than that, I know nothing more. There must be some sort of dismantling required that he cannot see or figure out, he's a pretty experienced mechanic. Thanks for the help, I will also post it on the farm equipment and implement section here at YT.

Not sure about Claas, but on some Gleaners, you have to go in the grain tank and remove a panel to access the far side of the engine....not real handy, esp. if the combine is in a shed with low clearance over the tank.

Ben

Its under the turbo. Remove the turbo pipes and tie a rope to it and take the bolts out. That is, if its a Mercedes.

Fritz is correct on where its at. Theres a way to tip the cab forward if your friend doesnt like the rope idea.

Dave

OK Fritz ..... I will pass that info along to him. We do not have a manual yet, our tractor club just bought this unit from a local farmer, it's been sitting ten years in a shed. It sounds to me like he is trying to access the starter for removal. So does he remove the turbo pipes first before accessing the starter? Is that done from above? Someone else said that starter access is from the grain tank or from the cab area (panel removal), not sure if that makes sense to you are not. Are you relatively familiar with that model of Claas combine?

I actually never saw one before. I was so impressed with Daves machine that I snapped 20 photos of all the blue parts bleeding through the green paint to show my brother and the starter happened to be in one of them. But the starter is in the same place as a 642 (probably the same bell housing) , and I spent some time with those starters. I would tie the starter off tight, possibly to a 2x4 laid across the engine bay. Then you can take bolts out and just swing it on the rope out of the housing. I cant remember for sure but I thought that panel on the left side would swing up enough to get a step ladder in there then you could work on it without standing on your head. Then when you have the starter dangling go back on top and lift it out of there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back