C135 Headbolt and Headgasket questions.

Here's a picture of of the one clean cylinder. I think it may of had a leak as did two other cylinders. Still need to know if I should use 65 or 85 ft/lbs with an MLS headgasket. Engine is an IH C135 S/N: 24045, 9 headbolts
Edit: think I answered my own question. Gonna go with an MLS headgasket, studs, and 85 ft/lbs for the torque spec.

Attachments

• 20240513_153156.jpg
    20240513_153156.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Here's a picture of of the one clean cylinder. I think it may of had a leak as did two other cylinders. Still need to know if I should use 65 or 85 ft/lbs with an MLS headgasket. Engine is an IH C135 S/N: 24045, 9 headbolts
Edit: think I answered my own question. Gonna go with an MLS headgasket, studs, and 85 ft/lbs for the torque spec.
Take that photo with you to the machine shop and have the give you advice on proper deck surfaces . I just cant see the surfaces , that’s guessing . They are not acceptable to sealing with a new headgasket , If you don’t it will be a waste of time and money . The photo appears to me the sleeves don’t have any sealing left in them . What I see .

Take that photo with you to the machine shop and have the give you advice on proper deck surfaces . I just cant see the surfaces , that’s guessing . They are not acceptable to sealing with a new headgasket , If you don’t it will be a waste of time and money . The photo appears to me the sleeves don’t have any sealing left in them . What I see .
Well that's before it cleaned it off and I'm still working on cleaning off the deck. Good ol drill and wire brush like my dad's always done. Gonna clean it off with some brake cleaner after along with the oil ports. 60 years of crud built up. I know technically I shouldn't be using a wire brush on a drill to clean the deck don't crucify me for it but it works! Funny thing is looking in the places I didn't wire brush while I was cleaning it off the texture was the same! This ain't no weak aluminum block, she's cast iron!

Well that's before it cleaned it off and I'm still working on cleaning off the deck. Good ol drill and wire brush like my dad's always done. Gonna clean it off with some brake cleaner after along with the oil ports. 60 years of crud built up. I know technically I shouldn't be using a wire brush on a drill to clean the deck don't crucify me for it but it works! Funny thing is looking in the places I didn't wire brush while I was cleaning it off the texture was the same! This ain't no weak aluminum block, she's cast iron!
I've used a wire brush where I shouldn't have, as well.

Downside is that an errant bristle can find it's way down to the crankcase and eventually get sucked into the oil pump. That can do UGLY things, so do your best to flush and blow out the block including the pushrod area.

Anyone know what compression I should be shooting for once everything is together? Should be somewhere around 140-150 psi right? That's what I've seen looking around on some other forums. Again engine is an IH C135.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back