Budgetary Estimate

Dean

Relocating 1,600 miles west from near Cincinnati, OH to Billings, MT.

Plan to sell all of my tractors and equipment because will need nothing more than a ZTR at new home with 1 acre or less.

Still, considering taking one or two of my smallest Kubotas with attachments with me for multiple reasons.

Total weight would be around 5,500 Lbs., and everything would fit on a 20' (preferably enclosed) trailer.

No idea what transportation would cost and need budgetary in order to make decisions.

Ideas?

Plan to sell all of my tractors and equipment because will need nothing more than a ZTR at new home with 1 acre or less.

Still, considering taking one or two of my smallest Kubotas with attachments with me for multiple reasons.

Total weight would be around 5,500 Lbs., and everything would fit on a 20' (preferably enclosed) trailer.

No idea what transportation would cost and need budgetary in order to make decisions.

Ideas?
You can always go to uship website and enter a quote request. After a certain time it will expire as far as haulers being able to dutch auction other haulers. Some quotes will be stupid high to start.
I did that because we are planning to move 600 miles north and take EVERYTHING it seems. Almost everything in two 40 foot shipping containers at 18k pounds gross each. Quotes came in starting at $10k for two. Ended at a hauler 40 miles from here quoting half as much and they are bonded and insured, have the proper equipment, etc.
Posting a quote there is free with no obligations unless you chose one of the quotes.
Those that do quote can be google searched and most are legit businesses with reviews and or horror stories to be found outside of the uship website.

If you can ship it as a partial or with a hotshot outfit it will be the cheapest way if you don't want to haul it yourself. Rent a trailer and then drop off when done. An enclosed trailer would make sense this time of year. Look into some of these van companies if you could get it up to dock high will be the issue for that though. Don't pay a dime up front paying at loading time if you are not going to be at the other end to unload would be fair or paying at delivery is best. IF you can work with one of the truck money systems like Comchek you could set up a comchek with the company so they can have access to the cash when delivered without having to be there. It has been so long since I had anything to do with them it may have all changed since then. There are several options to use also.

some of the LTL companies, like XPO will move freight like small tractors, with the other LTL freight they are moving, you leave the keys in the tractor and they drive it on and off of trailers as it is going terminal to terminal. Probably a couple of bucks per loaded mile.

Ideas?
I know some folks who live near Alberton/Missoula, Montana who regularly buy new trailers from one of the trailer builders near Salem, Ohio and haul them out to Montana to resell. They have said the market for trailers in Montana is such that it allows them to make money doing that. By regularly, they come east once or twice a year and buy 2-3 to haul back and resell each time, so not a huge amount, but enough that they are making money doing this.

That being said, you might want to consider buying a trailer, hauling your stuff to Montana and then selling the trailer. At a minimum, I don't think you would lose money doing this. You might even make enough profit to cover your fuel hauling your stuff out there.

Good luck with your move.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back