Allis Chalmers 5050 - a good tractor??

Hello tractor friends,

I am more familiar with Massey Ferguson, Ford and Deere, but I am looking at an Allis Chalmers 5050, two wheel drive with an Allied loader.

It appears to have about 2700 hours on the meter, and it looks in fair shape. Sheet metal a bit dinged, missing the front grille. Asking price is $9500 Canadian dollars - that's about $7000 US dollars.

My question for you is simple: is this a good tractor? What are the points I ought to pay special attention to? I am aware of the axle pivot pin wearing due to having a loader - just replaced that pin on my MF245. Quite a job - would never have succeeded (or even tried it) without this wonderful forum.

Any thoughts on the AC 5050? Anyone have one - like it, don't like it?

Thanks much,
Eric

It was a Fiat tractor marketed by AC in the late seventies. Oliver sold one just about like it as the 1265. Dependable little tractors. Good engine, relatively stout drive train. Very simple in most regards. Not a lot of hydraulic flow for a loader, but overall not a bad tractor. Lots of them around under different labels so parts parts are pretty easy to find. A lot of parts are still in the New Holland system as well.

Fairly lightweight drawbar support, so towed implements with heavy tongue weight tend to shake things loose and/or break bolts. That's one weak spot. There may be a couple more but nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Hello tractor friends,

I am more familiar with Massey Ferguson, Ford and Deere, but I am looking at an Allis Chalmers 5050, two wheel drive with an Allied loader.

It appears to have about 2700 hours on the meter, and it looks in fair shape. Sheet metal a bit dinged, missing the front grille. Asking price is $9500 Canadian dollars - that's about $7000 US dollars.

My question for you is simple: is this a good tractor? What are the points I ought to pay special attention to? I am aware of the axle pivot pin wearing due to having a loader - just replaced that pin on my MF245. Quite a job - would never have succeeded (or even tried it) without this wonderful forum.

Any thoughts on the AC 5050? Anyone have one - like it, don't like it?

Thanks much,
Eric
Maybe this'll help. http://www.importtractorparts.net/buyersguide.html

Thanks to you both, Harry in Ky and rrlund.

I will check the drawbar and cycle the loader a few times to see how it goes. I have a MF245 with perhaps the identical loader, and that is part of why I am interested in the 5050... I could switch materials bucket for manure tine/bucket for snow blade.

The link for importtractorparts is incredible. Thank you for that rrlund. Interestingly, Cobden, Ontario is about an hour and a half from my farm. Usually I end up ordering things from the States, but this is as convenient as it gets. Thank you for the link and the introduction.

I plan to go see the tractor tomorrow, so if anyone else has anything to add, there is still time. And its much appreciated.

Eric

Thanks to you both, Harry in Ky and rrlund.

I will check the drawbar and cycle the loader a few times to see how it goes. I have a MF245 with perhaps the identical loader, and that is part of why I am interested in the 5050... I could switch materials bucket for manure tine/bucket for snow blade.

The link for importtractorparts is incredible. Thank you for that rrlund. Interestingly, Cobden, Ontario is about an hour and a half from my farm. Usually I end up ordering things from the States, but this is as convenient as it gets. Thank you for the link and the introduction.

I plan to go see the tractor tomorrow, so if anyone else has anything to add, there is still time. And its much appreciated.

Eric
Learn to work the independent pto properly.

Oh... so if I see in the photo online that the pto lever is UP... and thus he has probably been driving around with it like that for 5 years, then that's going to be a problem. I read elsewhere on this site (from Traditional Farmer and you yourself, GarryinNC) that it wears out the thrust bearings and carries on from there to ruin the block.

So, if that lever is up.... this might be a serious problem, right? Maybe look for a different tractor? Is there any way to know if there is damage - the fellow has had this tractor 5 years and used it not too much, he says.

Thanks again,
Eric

Oh... so if I see in the photo online that the pto lever is UP... and thus he has probably been driving around with it like that for 5 years, then that's going to be a problem. I read elsewhere on this site (from Traditional Farmer and you yourself, GarryinNC) that it wears out the thrust bearings and carries on from there to ruin the block.

So, if that lever is up.... this might be a serious problem, right? Maybe look for a different tractor? Is there any way to know if there is damage - the fellow has had this tractor 5 years and used it not too much, he says.

Thanks again,
Eric
Is there some place where you can get a bar to check the end play in the crank?

I talked to Danny at importtractorparts.net in Cobden... He's very knowledgeable and happy to help me. Glad to help me BEFORE I buy the tractor.... very nice.

Yes, he confirms that the PTO clutch lever must be down unless the PTO is in use. And yes, to test the damage on the thrust washers, use a pry bar on the end of the crankshaft and see if there is any end-play.

So, thanks much for all your help.

I'll visit the tractor tomorrow and check it out.

Eric

Well, folks, no new tractor for me. I am very grateful for your solid advice.

The drawbar hitch was all wobbly - a bolt broken off. Not a big deal, but indicative of the level of repair on the whole machine.

And the PTO clutch lever was up and the fellow could not make it go down - frozen in place. Oh, boy. I thanked him, told him about the lever, and headed home. Mercifully the tractor was only 20 minutes away.

On to the next, and I thank you so much. I'll keep an eye out for Fiat tractors now in addition to my more familiar Massey Fergusons.

All the best to you all.
Eric

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back