Aftermarket starter TO30 will not fit.

I recently purchased a TO30 that was missing a starter. I moved the tractor with a borrowed starter that installed fairly easy. I purchased an aftermarket starter to use on the tractor. I have wrestled that thing for 4 to 5 hours trying to get it to fit. Are there any secrets techniques to get this starter to fit? Thanks for any tips.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Mount trouble or drive trouble? Clearly you must compare working with new, or at least new verses engine to see if modifications reqd./ possible. Chinia part? Do not trash ring gear! Makes cheap starter very expensive. Good luck, provide details to get specific advice.

I recently purchased a TO30 that was missing a starter. I moved the tractor with a borrowed starter that installed fairly easy. I purchased an aftermarket starter to use on the tractor. I have wrestled that thing for 4 to 5 hours trying to get it to fit. Are there any secrets techniques to get this starter to fit? Thanks for any tips.
Did the same thing 2 weeks ago . The head on the new starter was machined too big to fit the hole. Took the head off the old starter and put on the new one and it worked perfectly. Aftermarket parts from across the pond don't always fit.

I had the same problems on my TO-20 and TO-30 with aftermarket starters. Swapped the nose on one. Had to grind on the other one because the original nose was broken. One of these starters failed very quickly. From China, the brushes were made from extremely hard material and burnt. Cleaned them off and it worked about a dozen starts and did the same thing again. One replacement brand I found is this 12 volt starter. It fit perfectly and has worked perfectly for a year now.
TO20 Starter Ebay.jpg

Check out E Bay. You may find a used OEM one that may be good or have to have it re-built, but at least it will fit.

Count the teeth on the bendix , make sure it has the same number as the original otherwise you risk stripping the ring gear .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back