8N axle seals

DaveH (NY)

Guys I’m looking for some input, I want to change the rear axle seals in my 1952 8N, and I want to order the correct ones. My tractor has the later “cats belly” axle trumpets so it would have inner and outer seals but I’m seeing more than one inner and outer seal, I’m trying to order parts before I open up the tractor as I have no where to keep it in pieces

Just did this for my friends tractor. If possible, take apart both sides before ordering in case you need bearings or races, etc. At a minimum, you need the inner seal and I usually use the outer seal retainer that comes with the seal and gasket. You will need the "cork" seal and the outer retainer seal. Check your brakes and felt dust seal that goes around the back shield.

Just did this for my friends tractor. If possible, take apart both sides before ordering in case you need bearings or races, etc. At a minimum, you need the inner seal and I usually use the outer seal retainer that comes with the seal and gasket. You will need the "cork" seal and the outer retainer seal. Check your brakes and felt dust seal that goes around the back shield.
That was a question I had, can I use the putter seal in the retainer if that’s not what is in there currently? I’m not having any leak issues currently, I am just restoring the tractor. I haven’t had an 8n in a long time and some of my memories are fuzzy lol.

That was a question I had, can I use the putter seal in the retainer if that’s not what is in there currently? I’m not having any leak issues currently, I am just restoring the tractor. I haven’t had an 8n in a long time and some of my memories are fuzzy lol.
Not sure I know exactly what you mean, but when it comes to the OUTER seal you have two options - replace the retainer as an assembly that comes with the retainer, seal, inner seal gasket (inside the retainer), and outer retainer paper gasket in between the retainer and brake plate. Or, buy each piece separately and reuse the retainer. It is only a few bucks more for the assembly so I recommend that path. Either way, there is another thin cork gasket that goes in between the retainer and brake plate that fits inside the paper gasket that goes in between the retainer and brake plate.

Hope I answered your question.

Guys I’m looking for some input, I want to change the rear axle seals in my 1952 8N, and I want to order the correct ones. My tractor has the later “cats belly” axle trumpets so it would have inner and outer seals but I’m seeing more than one inner and outer seal, I’m trying to order parts before I open up the tractor as I have no where to keep it in pieces
You say 52. There is a serial number break at 486753. Before that the outer seal retainer is sheet metal. Best to replace the Assembly, a bit cheaper than the individual parts. Later the retainer was changed and you just replace the seal. Sometimes engines get changed, so best to see what type of retainer you have before ordering parts. The outer seals show to have different inside diameters between the early and late. Seems odd to me as they both use the same hubs. In fact I had an extra set of the later style outer seals and put them into the early style retainers on my 51 and it has been working fine with no leaks several years.

Not sure I know exactly what you mean, but when it comes to the OUTER seal you have two options - replace the retainer as an assembly that comes with the retainer, seal, inner seal gasket (inside the retainer), and outer retainer paper gasket in between the retainer and brake plate. Or, buy each piece separately and reuse the retainer. It is only a few bucks more for the assembly so I recommend that path. Either way, there is another thin cork gasket that goes in between the retainer and brake plate that fits inside the paper gasket that goes in between the retainer and brake plate.

Hope I answered your question.
Thanks Dan, yes you answered my question. It’s been several years since I’ve had an 8n and I couldn’t remember if the retainer and seal could be used on my tractor or if I had to change the seal in the original retainer! I totally understand now!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back