7000 planter question

Hi guys. I have a quick question about my jd 6 row 7000 planter. There’s a piece of steel sticking out the back of each drive wheel bracket. What is it for and can I just cut it off. The reason I want it gone is because I’m tired of taking each chain apart when going to a field that’s a ways away. If that steel piece is gone I should be able to just undo the spring and flop the chain over and tie it up. The axel bolt goes through the piece of steel so I probably can’t just remove it. I appreciate your input.
IMG_3567.jpeg

That piece of metal should be vertical or so? Then you would pull up on the tightener roller, take the chain off wheel sprocket and other roller. May need to take chain off top driven sprocket. Then flop chain over this piece of metal to let chain ride there for transport.. This will keep the chain away from wheel sprocket.

Hi guys. I have a quick question about my jd 6 row 7000 planter. There’s a piece of steel sticking out the back of each drive wheel bracket. What is it for and can I just cut it off. The reason I want it gone is because I’m tired of taking each chain apart when going to a field that’s a ways away. If that steel piece is gone I should be able to just undo the spring and flop the chain over and tie it up. The axel bolt goes through the piece of steel so I probably can’t just remove it. I appreciate your input. View attachment 65210

That piece of metal should be vertical or so? Then you would pull up on the tightener roller, take the chain off wheel sprocket and other roller. May need to take chain off top driven sprocket. Then flop chain over this piece of metal to let chain ride there for transport.. This will keep the chain away from wheel sprocket.
I can’t get the chain to go past it no matter what I do. It’s pretty long. I was just wondering if it was necessary

Those wheels can roll a stone up and into the chain area and cause a lot of damage. It doesn’t look like it could ever be an issue, but I got one rolled up and in that it bent that bar into an L, wrecked the chain, and bent the octagon drive shaft. I wonder ho many those little bars saved me from similar issues.

I need to bend one back straight every year or two, as they take a bit of abuse from the right size stones here.

If you don’t have rock where you are, it might not matter.

Paul

Why would you need to remove the chain ? When raised the clutch should disconncet the drive for seed and fertilizer on a dry model for road transport just like it does when turning on the ends or driving across the field. Uless you are roading many miles it would not make a difference in the wear on the chain and sprockets. Even on those cheap white clutches we don't bother with the chains just raise and go.

Why would you need to remove the chain ? When raised the clutch should disconncet the drive for seed and fertilizer on a dry model for road transport just like it does when turning on the ends or driving across the field. Uless you are roading many miles it would not make a difference in the wear on the chain and sprockets. Even on those cheap white clutches we don't bother with the chains just raise and go.
You let those little plastic idlers spin along at 19mph down the road? Wow. Typically that doesn’t last long. That sprocket on the wheel axle there can bust up pretty easy when chains derail and pins get caught on it at high speed. Usually bends the upper drive shaft as well at that point. To each their own but I always disconnected the chain for a road drive. Costs too much in time and parts to deal with during planting time, disconnecting the chains for road gear travel is what most did.

There used to be a company that made disconnects for those chains, I think you needed a slightly longer chain but could just flip a lever at each wheel and disengage the chains for travel. I don’t think they are available new any more.

Paul

I’m trying to picture how that piece of steel would help with rocks. And how do rocks climb a smooth tire. Ha ha. I’m not doubting you, I just can’t picture it. I’m definitely leaving them on now.

I’m trying to picture how that piece of steel would help with rocks. And how do rocks climb a smooth tire. Ha ha. I’m not doubting you, I just can’t picture it. I’m definitely leaving them on now.
Yea I agree with you! Can’t see the wheels while planting really, so never saw it happen but have seen the results. One time no real damage, but a rock was wedged in that the wheel was skidding. And that bracket bent as somehow the rock pushed by.

Should GoPro the wheels and see if a person can see how it happens, because it isn’t an obvious consideration as you say.

Paul

I've never had to replace those idlers on any planter I've used in the last 40 years the old IH 58 planter ,400cyclo, 9900 NI /white. The 16 row lifts those wheels off the ground so they don't touch the ground in transport. The IHC planter had a steel tightener that rode on the top of the chain with a spring holding it. did wear one of those through once just welded it up with a piece of strap around the front on the wear side good as new. Never broke a sprocket. Had one break the drive shaft through the planter while planting never in transport. Had the hex shaft wear out so it would slip had to replace that was a time delay with that for sure.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back