59 power major starter

Over the winter I purchased a 59 and now that the snow has melted it looks like the move to my farm was rough on the old man. I have never worked with this type of starter so I need help finding how the starter can be wired up so i can start the engine. I'm not worried about any other wiring or the generator (all the lights are gone.) The key is gone so that needs to be bypassed as well.

Over the winter I purchased a 59 and now that the snow has melted it looks like the move to my farm was rough on the old man. I have never worked with this type of starter so I need help finding how the starter can be wired up so i can start the engine. I'm not worried about any other wiring or the generator (all the lights are gone.) The key is gone so that needs to be bypassed as well.
On the top of the starter is a switch with two wires, one comes from the ignition switch, the other goes to the solenoid. Locate the one which comes from the switch, remove it and put a piece of wire from the live battery terminal in its place. This will work as a temporary fix to get it started. When you press the starter lever it should operate the starter. If you put the live wire on the other terminal to the solenoid, the starter motor will be on all the time. MAKE SURE THE TRACTOR IS OUT OF GEAR BEFROE DOING THIS. It is not a permanent fix but will get you home.

You may find you can turn the ignition on with a small screw driver, the key is a flat blade type on the Power Major and is easily operated using one, with a little care.

On the top of the starter is a switch with two wires, one comes from the ignition switch, the other goes to the solenoid. Locate the one which comes from the switch, remove it and put a piece of wire from the live battery terminal in its place. This will work as a temporary fix to get it started. When you press the starter lever it should operate the starter. If you put the live wire on the other terminal to the solenoid, the starter motor will be on all the time. MAKE SURE THE TRACTOR IS OUT OF GEAR BEFROE DOING THIS. It is not a permanent fix but will get you home.

You may find you can turn the ignition on with a small screw driver, the key is a flat blade type on the Power Major and is easily operated using one, with a little care.
Thank you. I will try this. the solenoid was removed but i have a new one. the wiring is in bad shape so I will need to rewire the whole starter system. I found the positive cable under the tractor when I went to look it over now that the snow is melted. It still has the lever style starter. I will report back after I use this information to try to get it running.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back