420c is it a bad idea?

ferball

New User
I have been looking for a used tractor to clear some land and pull stumps and haul logs, weekend warrior gentlemen farmer type work, nothing serious. I want to keep it under $5k so I am well aware that whatever I get is gonna be "mechanic special". In my search I have run across a few 420c and similiar crawlers coming in closer to $3k. My grandfather had one and I remember messing around on it decades ago and it was fun, my question for this community is how much of a money pit is a 70 year old crawler? I am not looking to restore one, just keep it in working order. I am a fairly competent shade tree mechanic so the work doesn't worry me its parts availability and troubleshooting, the crawler drive train would be completely new to me. I am not to worried about the engine and hydraulics unless there is something different crawlers are doing there.

Firs
I have been looking for a used tractor to clear some land and pull stumps and haul logs, weekend warrior gentlemen farmer type work, nothing serious. I want to keep it under $5k so I am well aware that whatever I get is gonna be "mechanic special". In my search I have run across a few 420c and similiar crawlers coming in closer to $3k. My grandfather had one and I remember messing around on it decades ago and it was fun, my question for this community is how much of a money pit is a 70 year old crawler? I am not looking to restore one, just keep it in working order. I am a fairly competent shade tree mechanic so the work doesn't worry me its parts availability and troubleshooting, the crawler drive train would be completely new to me. I am not to worried about the engine and hydraulics unless there is something different crawlers are doing there.
Welcome to the forums.

First and foremost, it has been said many times; there is no such thing as a cheap crawler.

A 420C will do a good bit of work, depending on an operator's skills. It is a small crawler by standards. Some new parts are available from JD and aftermarket. Most of the engine and transmission parts are the same as the wheel tractors and fairly available. Undercarriage is a high dollar item. The condition of the undercarriage is a critical item on any you look at to purchase. The common fix is reworking to use JD 350 undercarriage components. If you need to replace the undercarriage you could easily be looking at 5K. If you have rocky ground, it is hard on tracks and undercarriage.

As for clearing land, pulling stumps, and hauling logs, a 420C can do those things. How ever it will be slow. You won't just drop the blade and push things out of the way, you will have to work away at it. You won't pull a stump of any size; depending on the tree and soil you might not be able to pull a 6" diameter stump. You will have to use the blade to work around it to loosen it first. Hauling logs may be a one at a time operation, depending on size of the log and terrain. If you have a winch and log arch hauling logs will be easier.

Sit down and detail how much and what you want to do with it. You might want to check into rentals of newer, larger machines for a weekend or vacation week to do your work, it might be more cost effective and quicker. I had a 430C and upgraded to a 450E, there is a world of difference in the work the two can accomplish.

Look for tractor with good undercarriage. Stay away from any powershift transmission, manual only. I would not limit search to JD, many other brands. Forget dealers, parts are available on Internet for most anything.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back