3000 gas tractor running rough

Dale80

New User
Hi. I have a 1974 Ford gas tractor that I purchased recently. The first time I ran it it started missing and died after about 20 minutes. I started with the easier things and replaced the points and condenser, rebuilt the carb, replaced the shutoff valve and still had same issue. Would start and run for a bit and then start missing and die. Wait a couple of hours and it would fire up again and do the same thing. Next step was to remove the loader to access the fuel pump and replace it. After replacing the fuel pump it ran great for a few days but has started missing again...almost like it is fuel starved. Have checked fuel flow from fuel pump and appears to be good. I'm new at this and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

My 2000 did that for years. Would go months without happening then sometimes happen two or three times in a day. I don't like removing a sediment bowl unless absolutely neccessary but I finally took it off and found a bit of a dry leaf that rolled up and stuck in the vertical passage. Couldn't see it looking in from the top.

The key to checking fuel flow is to check it for long enough. catch it in a container and verify that it keeps running a steady stream for two minutes.

Broke the fuel line between the sediment bowl and carb. Have good consistent fuel flow through sediment bowl. Hooked back up and still missing. Thinking might need to pull the carb apart again?

Broke the fuel line between the sediment bowl and carb. Have good consistent fuel flow through sediment bowl. Hooked back up and still missing. Thinking might need to pull the carb apart again?
You need to check the fuel flow from the carburetor bowl's drain plug, not the line from the sediment bowl.

Yes sir...I did both. Good going in to carb but not consistent coming out of the bottom of the carburetor.

It might not necessarily have good fuel flow if it is using the original mechanical fuel pump up on the front of the engine. The engine needs to be turning for the pump to pump fuel, so once the fuel in the line from the pump to the carb is gone you might not get much fuel flow until the engine is turning again, at least from the starter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back