MattLF9

I bought a 1963 6000 last year on a sale
and just got it pressure washed, after I
washed it some of the blue paint has come
off and has exposed some of the parts that
are red, its not primer, its red.

Whats this all about?

Serial number 61106-5-D 12508.

Some of the early 6000's were red and grey though I can't tell you what the cutoff was going to blue. Replacement parts for a blue 6000 could also have been red both from the Ford dealers, and from salvage over 60 years.

The red and white 6000 was replaced by the blue and light gray Commander in '65. Your 6000 was given a "paint job upgrade". many people will pay more for a 6000 than a Commander.

The series 6000 tractors were painted red and gray for the 1961 and 1962 model years. They were painted blue and gray for the 1963 and 1964 model years. The Commander 6000 was produced for the 1965, 1966 and 1967 model years. All Commanders were blue and gray. And don't forget about the early 6000s that were recalled and reworked by Ford. Those were likely repainted blue and gray before being resold.

I have original factory literature for a 1963/1964 6000 that shows the tractor as being blue, however if you look closely at one of the pics, you can see a splotch of red where the blue flaked off. I suspect this was a rebuilt red one that they used for a photo op.

The biggest items that are that bright red/orange color that flaked off are the hydraulic reservoir, the plate with the key switch under the dash, and the oil pan.
Maybe I got a transitional model?

(quoted from post at 16:44:02 07/13/23) The biggest items that are that bright red/orange color that flaked off are the hydraulic reservoir, the plate with the key switch under the dash, and the oil pan.
Maybe I got a transitional model?

No, as I posted earlier, "paint job modernizing" was very common.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back