1963 Ford 2000 transmission issue

travelling across the field in 1st gear and decided to stop and put in 2nd gear and now tractor will not move. Stuck between gears and cannot get out of gear in to neutral or any gear. Let out the clutch and no movement. What is the problem how do I get out of gear. Did not want to make any quick decision s and break something! What next?

You will need to pull the top cover off and then use something like a screwdriver to line up the notches in the shift rails. The end of the shifter may be worn off and let it slip out of the rail. It can be welded up and made to work again. With rails lined up reinstalled shift cover and all should be well until next time.

See pics and let me know what to do next. How do I line up the notches and is there too much force when using the big screwdriver? Thanks for the support!

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0033 (1).jpg
    IMG_0033 (1).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 27
Your transmission appears to have moisture in it by the appearance of the milky looking oil in your pics. That may be contributing to the problem. The tranny is stuck jn two gears so, it will take some pressure on a large pry bar or screw driver to disengage the couplers and realign the shift forks. So, get tough with the tools and get everything back into neutral so that the shifter can be installed. While working it will become apparent when you get things lined back up. Your top cover and shifter then can be reinstalled. The moisture gets inside either by sweating during cold weather or by rain entering through leaking rubber boots around the shift levers on the top cover. The moisture can rust the shift rails and forks causing things to not work smoothly and be hard to shift correctly. That and wear on the shift lever can cause the problem you have now. I would check and correct any of these issues to prevent this from happening again. Drain the contaminated oil flush with kerosene or diesel fuel and install new oil in the tranny. Good luck.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back